Bleach shelf life?

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
How long will my bottles of 8.25% bleach last? I normally just pick up a few bottles when I go do our family grocery shopping every 2 weeks throughout the year so that by the time pool season starts, I have my bleach for the season.

the bottles are stored upright on shelves in my wooden shed year round.

As shown by the table at the bottom of this link, the rate of degradation is a function of both temperature and concentration. For 8.25% bleach, figure losing about half its strength in 6-7 months at 90ºF but a year at 80ºF so keeping the chlorine cooler helps a lot. This assumes the chlorine is of high quality with no metal impurities that speed up its degradation.

As for cold, that is not a problem and I'm assuming you aren't talking about freezing.

As shown by the table at the bottom of this link, the rate of degradation is a function of both temperature and concentration. For 8.25% bleach, figure losing about half its strength in 6-7 months at 90ºF but a year at 80ºF so keeping the chlorine cooler helps a lot. This assumes the chlorine is of high quality with no metal impurities that speed up its degradation.

As for cold, that is not a problem and I'm assuming you aren't talking about freezing.

awesome. Thanks chemgeek! And no, even when it gets freezing temps outside, I have not yet had the bleach itself freeze in the shed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.