Anybody have an Autistic kid?

Jul 18, 2012
Upstate, SC
Just curious if any of you have an Autistic child. We have two boys who are both have ASD. One was just recently diagnosed, the other has been diagnosed for a year. It is one big reason we installed the pool, he loves water and his therapists said it would help. He definitely loves it and has been swimming this year even though the water was barely 70 recently. My younger boy who was just diagnosed also loves the pool so I am happy we installed it. Its been a lot of work but its worth it for the kids.

Good to hear the boys love the water! How old are they?

My kiddies don't have autism.

Hi there, my son is autistic... He's six, and he's the reason we got a pool last year, and the reason we got a bigger pool this year..... :) He's a really great kid, as no doubt yours are too... He's at school today... :) I also have an eldest son whose ten... :) He loves his brother very much....

My 14 year old had been enjoying the pool since he was 2. He is a rather large non verbal young man- but enjoys the pool and you can often hear him giggling out there for hours! He used to enjoy it seemingly endlessly but since he turned probably about 10 he enjoys it more if the sun is not directly in his face- other than that- most autistic kids love the pool!

By the way- we had a teacher at the YMCA years ago told us that she routinely teaches nonverbal kids with special needs how to swim. Amazingly enough we would love to see this… Two years later I went to the YMCA to register him and found out that she had moved on to somewhere else and that they no longer had anyone who did this particular type of swim teaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear the boys love the water! How old are they?

My kiddies don't have autism.

My alerts arent working when replies are being made, sorry!

My boys are 6, 4, and 2. My 4 and 2yr old are both ASD diagnosed which is the new generic for anything autistic. They think my 4yr old is leaning towards Aspergers but they dont use that term anymore.

What is kind of strange is that my forum name stems from my 6 yr old. He was born with a Congenital Heart Defect (CHD) and had open heart surgery as an infant. After going through that ordeal I figured that was the worst of it. While that was extremely hard at least he was able to get surgery and therapy to help and now should lead a pretty normal life. My other two boys have a very long road ahead and their therapy sessions are turning into second full time jobs for my wife and I.

All three boys love the water and would swim pretty much all the time if we let them. My 6 yr old gets a good low impact workout from it (he is a pretty good swimmer already) and the other two just love being in the water period. There are times when I curse the pool but seeing all of them smile from ear to ear for hours is worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.