Needing to Backwash more frequently after intake/return plumbing upgrade

Beens

TFP Expert
Jul 22, 2013
Virginia Beach, Va
Hey all, I have a sand filter question. (all my info is in my signature) the filter holds 100# of sand.

I recently changed from intex fittings/plunger valves to hayward fittings. I know I have better flow than I used to have and I think my filter may be filtering better because of it.

What I have noticed though is that I feel like I am having to backwash pretty often. Right now my pool has a leaf net on it so there is nothing really big getting in there on a daily basis.

I have been vacuuming with my new pool blaster max vacuum so no vacuum junk is going through the filter.

In the past I hardly ever had to backwash. I usually only did it if I vacuumed.

Before my plumbing changes my clean pressure was 10psi and I would backwash at 12 or so.

My new clean pressure seems to be between 11 and 12. (I'm going to call it 12)

I backwashed on Saturday because the pressure was up again to around 16/17.

It went back to just under 12 after the backwash until this morning when I checked it and noticed it's back up 13.

I guess what I'm wondering is, based on the size of my pool and filter and the fact that nothing large is getting in there, how often should I have to backwash my filter? (oh yeah, my pump is still running 24/7 because I don't have a timer)

When I backwash I usually go for about 1 -1.5 minutes backwash then about 30 seconds rinse. For the first 30 seconds at the most the water is a little dirty looking and for the rest of the time it's clean.

If my filter is in need of a deep cleaning would that cause the pressure to rise more quickly between backwashes? I don't think I have ever deep cleaned it.

I'm willing (but scared) to take it apart for the deep cleaning but I was wondering if that affects the time between backwashes or just the effectiveness of the filter itself. It seems to be doing a great job and the pool is crystal clear. I have been vacuuming it every few days with the pool blaster because it's fun. lol

Thanks for any help or input you can offer!

Sounds like your filter is working great. You're problem is how much water you're asking the filter to clean. A smaller pump, or a 2-speed pump running on low would let you go longer between backwashes. Likewise, a timer and running the pump less often would let you go longer between backwashes. A bigger filter would also allow you to go longer between backwashes but your current one is fine for your pool size. I wouldn't do a deep clean unless there is a problem that calls for it and I don't think your situation calls for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.