Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
tested water last night with a wal-mart 6 way test

TC = 6
PH =7.5 or 7.7
TA = 60 ppm
total hardness = 15
CYA = 0

when I did TC test ... test water was darker than indicator window (top indicator window is 5.)

when I did CYA test black dot on bottom never went away with tube filled to rim (above top mark) so I am assuming it is zero.
never put stabilizer in pool due pool being installed late august 2013.

Opened pool with 2# of shock. Should I add algaecide ?

I would add enough stabilizer to get your CYA to 30 ppm. For your 7,000 gallon pool, you would need to add 28-29 oz of granular 100% CYA. Put the granules in an old gym sock or similar garment and tie it off. Then place it in front of a return jet. You can hang it from a sturdy piece of patio furniture or from the handle of an old bleach bottle filled with pea gravel and water. Hold the CYA at this level for a few weeks and see how your chlorine demand is. If the loss of chlorine to sunlight is too great, you can always add more CYA. Use the PoolMath tool to determine the dosage.

Don't bother adding any algaecide.

TC is Total Chlorine, which consists of Free Chlorine (FC - the "good" kind) and Combined Chloramines (CC - the "bad" kind). FC + CC = TC. You really need to determine FC and CC individually in order to properly manage the pool water. We recommend the FAS-DPD chlorine test for this very reason (see Test Kits Compared). If the CC level is above 0.5, or the FC level is zero, you should SLAM the pool.

how to calculate how many gallons is my pool not sure if 7000 is accurate

18' across 52'' pool wall .... approx. 4' deep

can I put cya in a sock then put sock in skimmer ?

will add cya on Saturday

how to calculate how many gallons is my pool not sure if 7000 is accurate

18' across 52'' pool wall .... approx. 4' deep

can I put cya in a sock then put sock in skimmer ?

will add cya on Saturday
Poolmath comes up with 7600 gallons for 18' round * 4 ft deep. Stick a tape measure in there to be sure of the depth. But 7000 is close enough for now.

You can put the sock in the skimmer, but only if you're leaving the pump run 24/7 and it doesn't restrict the flow at all. Much safer is to hang it over the edge in front of the return so it pummels the sock and dissolves faster. Or tie the sock to an empty jug and let it bob around. Some people have just propped a pole against the pool and tied the sock to that so it's in front of the return but not touching the wall at all. The key is to not pour it in the skimmer where it might clog the lines and not pour it directly in the water where the granules could give the liner freckles.

so it's in front of the return but not touching the wall at all.

.... so when pump turns off. Sock will rest against wall..... or should pump run 24/7

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Run your pump while administering chemicals to the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TC .... 6
PH...... 7.5
TA...... 90 PPM

DRAINING SOME WATER OFF..... WATER ABOVE OPERATION LEVEL

HOW HIGH CAN. TA. BE. BEFORE I ADD

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Supporting what others have already stated, Job 1(a) is getting the recommended level of CYA into the pool. Job 1(b) is maintaining the proper chlorine level. Eventually, you will need to know FC and CC individually.

You pH is fine and I wouldn't worry about TA.

hello

I will add cya on Saturday... tommorrow

I guess I was just wondering how high TA can go before I need to take some action. test 1 show's alk at 60 test 2 show's alk at 90. My mistake I thought I read somewhere by adding muric acid this would lower alk. After I read pool school I learned differently.

sorry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.