Solar.... yes, no?

There are a number of posts on this subject so you may want to try the search function to find out more information, but to sum it up:

Commercial poly panels beat any home built black hose contraption in every way, usually even on total price. There is simply no comparison, I am as much of a DIY'er as the next guy, but this is one place where buying commercial makes sense even if you install them yourself.

When it comes to solar heat, size is everything, depending on climate, goals, etc. you will likely need a set of panels sized between 50-100% of the surface area of your pool.

Solar heat can provide a good source of heat for a pool, as long as your expectations are appropriate, in other words don't expect a toasty warm pool after a week of cloudy weather.

Ike

p.s. If you add your location information to your profile we could give better advice

Yes, we're 85 degree pool people too. In DFW area with a black bottom pool with only 2 hours or so of full sun. We have 5 4x12 panels and often use them to keep pool above 80, even in august. Water coming outta the panels is hot!

Water coming outta the panels is hot!
Water out of the solar panels shouldn't be hot. That means the flow rate through the panels is too slow and you are losing a lot of heat. At most, you want only a 5 degree rise from input to output temperature but the lower the temperature rise through the panels, the higher the heat transfer.

Water out of the solar panels shouldn't be hot. That means the flow rate through the panels is too slow and you are losing a lot of heat. At most, you want only a 5 degree rise from input to output temperature but the lower the temperature rise through the panels, the higher the heat transfer.

I don't understand this. Wouldn't hotter water from the panel equal a hotter pool????

No, because the lower the temperature difference the more heat transfer in the solar panels, this is a very common misconception, heat transfer does not always work the way our common sense makes us think it should.

It all has to do with heat loss. The hotter the panels/water, the more heat is lost to the cooler environment. So when you feel heat in the panels or water you are actually feeling the heat that can be lost to the environment. Maximum efficiency in the panels is achieved when the heat differential between the input and output of the panels is a minimum.

I probably exaggerated a little. It's not like the hot water tap. But, definitely noticeably warmer than the pool water. We can pick up 3-5 degrees on a sunny day. 20k gal pool. No cover, too many trees and leaves.

We're in Southern California. 3 miles from the beach. Right now our average is 82 degrees with solar. We have 8 4x12 panels. Running the filter/solar from 10am-4:30pm. Actually hope it gets it a little warmer. This week is supposed to be hot here so we'll have a better idea what to expect over the summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would suggest getting a solar controller even if it is just the basic Goldline GL-235, depend on your local conditions (cloud cover / wind, etc.) they can significantly boost efficiency of solar heat, here on the gulf coast with summer afternoon thermal thunderstorms they are almost a must have as the ice cold rain on a running set of panels can really suck the heat out of a pool.

X2 on the GL235 - best money I've spent on my pool so far this season. It's nice knowing that even when I'm at work my pools solar heat gain is now being managed automatically - sun comes out and be differential (panel temps vs pool temp) hits the trigger point, and blammo - the valves open and it turns my pump on. Unexpected cool snap or storm, solar turns off automatically. Love it.

I'd also x2 a proper panel vs the cheap plastic tube option. I've done both , and my (still relatively inexpensive) Fafco 4x20 panel beats it in very way shape and form. Best money I spent on my pool LAST year. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.