California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC4 (RC-52)
Our pool finally filled 52hrs later....we just had new diamond brite put on.
when we started everything up, a green type substance shot out of one of the returns and now we have a nice greenish stain on the new plaster :( i tried to brush it but, its not coming out.
it looks like green mineral??? the green around metal pipes/fittings, i think it might be copper???

and I on top of that....I was just checking the pump basket to make sure it didn't have extra rocks/plaster in it and I noticed a little stream of water shooting out of one of the pipes :eek: its a metal pipe (probably the same pipe that shot out the green stuff)
looks like a old copper pipe, all the other pipes are pvc....so it must be the return pipe. its right when it comes out of the ground and its a pin size hole....how should we stop it??? just checked its still spraying :(

hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th of July!!!

chris

Sounds like you have an old pool with copper pipes and they have created a copper stain on your new plaster. Sounds like you need to get the plumbing checked.

ktdave said:
Hi Chrisa,
Sorry to hear about your problems :cry:

I'm no metals stain expert, but there are some here on the forum (mbar in particular). Check out this thread: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Hope this helps and good luck to you!
Be careful using ascorbic acid on copper stains. It can sometimes make them worse. Try holding a vitamin c tablet on the stain. If it disappears then ascorbic acid can work. If it turns black or brown don't use it.

well I got almost all of it out...I did use the vit. c method. I thought I made it so much worse (it did turn brownish color and smeared around) but, I let the tablets soak on there for awhile and then brushed the area for awhile and almost all of it came out :)
looks way better than it did...I guess we better look into getting the old copper pipe replaced. Luckily its not spitting out anymore copper, just did it when we started up....probably because it was sitting for 3 weeks.

thanks for all the help!!!

Chris

thanks waterbear...it was a bad copper pipe. So we just got that one capped off and disconnected and had a new return line (pvc) added to the deep end.

this pool remodel is two steps forward and 3 back :)
I will be so glad when all the work is finally done!

and the rest of the stain came out with some acid....pool guys used a pvc pipe and poured alittle directly on the couple of spots i didn't get scrubbed out.
they really should have briefed us and recommened to have that pipe replaced/capped before the pool was refilled....I guess the pool had air leaks (main drain) and now that it has been fixed and everything has the right pressure/flow, that old copper pipe couldn't handle the flow (thus the leaks appearing) :( oh' well, hopefully we will complete soon :)

chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.