Need recommendations for pump/heater efficiency

Jan 5, 2014
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
This is such a great forum and I appreciate the input. I have been recently toying with the idea of installing an antique coal/woodburning boiler on my plumbing loop. The thing that worries me is that I have 2" pvc pipe on the loop, and the boiler input/output is a 1". I am not sure what type of harm or stress (if any) ,that I would be putting on the system have all the flow go from 2", to 1" and back to 2" again. My other option would be to feed the boiler from a branch line, but then not all of my water is being heated. I would like to just send all the water through the boiler. Any thoughts on this?

For what it's worth, I have a Hayward Super pump, a 300lb StaRite Crystal Flow sand filter, a gas heater, and then back to the 4 returns. The pool is 18x36 inground with one floor drain and 2 skimmers.

Welcome to TFP!

You should almost certainly split the line and have some of the water bypass the boiler. The boiler most likely has a maximum flow rate well below your total flow rate. It wouldn't be difficult to make the flow rate on the bypass adjustable so you can fine tune the system later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.