Gas Pipe Size

Hey -

I'm stressing a little bit, so looking for a quick opinion, and of course if it was from a "gas guy" that'd be great...but someone knowledgable but not certified is OK too ;)

I bought a gas heater, 266K BTU RayPak, for a 15x30 AGP.

Originally I was going to ge tthe 200K BTU, but for an extra $200, I went with the bigger one.

The only issue, is I forgot to check with my gas guy. I just texted him, and he said:

"Way too big for the one inch gas line. Something that big would require 1 1/4" gas line. Would have to have another look at your gas line. Not sure if possible".

I then checked the manual, and it said for up to 50 feet a 1" line can be used.

He said I he will do a sizing tomorrow (oh the agony of waiting) and I need to factor in my gas BBQ, hot water tank and furnace...that's about 140K BTU.

Any insights? Should I sleep tonight or stay up getting worried? haha

Thanks!
Brad

Well, you have to tell us the pipe distance and if anything else is serviced on the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, just saw that you said it is also supposed to do BBQ, furnace, and water heater ... no way is 1" big enough.

1" might be fine if it was direct from the meter to the heater and only servicing the heater.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a quick chart for basic sizing (it can be much more complicated depending on layout):
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-sizing-d_826.html

According to it, 1" pipe could carry 273,000 BTUs for 40'

The Raypak's are EXTREMELY forgiving. If the pipe comes directly from the meter to the heater, that would be ideal. If that were the case, you could run on 3/4 for 30 feet no problem. You also have to look at the pressure of the meter.

Everyone does it differently so you should rely upon your gas guy.

OK thanks.

It's my understanding though, that it's "just a matter" of going from possibly 3/4 to 1" to 1 1/4" I'm guessing, right?

It's nothing crazy like I need a new gas meter or something like that. Is that fair to say?

He quoted me $800 for parts (+tax) and labour, cash job.

I'm still waiting on the revised scope/cost. The difference between X and X+ 1/2" pipe can't be that dramatic, is it?

You might need a new meter. You are more than doubling your demand.

Around here the gas company replaces the meters for free I think ... they will get paid from you use of more gas.

I'm a plumbing contractor. Have your guy size it. He will use incoming pressure, distance and total load to determine size. If he's using flex pipe (csst), jumping from 1" to 11/4" isn't significant. This is assuming the entire house line doesn't need upsized. Hopefully not. Check with the gas company as to whether or not your existing meter will handle the added btu's. Normally the gas company doesn't charge you. They love it when you add gas appliances. Where I'm from we need to bond the gas line if using csst. If you already have csst in the house it may be bonded now. If it's not, have an electrician do it. It will protect you from lightening strikes that tend to blow holes in the csst. Expect $2-300 to bond it. Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.