Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stupid electrician cut the plug

1. Back To Top    #1

Stupid electrician cut the plug

My pool LED lights come with a outdoor transformer which is a plug-in type. The electrician cut the plug and connected the wire to the Aqua Logic panel. The inspector said flexible wires cannot be hard wired to the panel and the circuit needs to be GFI protected. The panel has a knock-out for a GFI outlet, Home Depot has a yellow wet location plug, can I use it to replace the factory plug? I really don't want to buy a whole new transformer.
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stupid electrician cut the plug

I would have the electrician come back and fix it. It's his work that didn't pass inspection.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with AnnaK. Why should you fix something that a qualified person who you contracted and paid money to to install something on your behalf failed the insection and I would think the inspector wouldnt let you touch it anyway since a professional did the work to begin with ....

Good Luck !
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The electrician made a mistake and you have an opportunity to teach him about his error. I think calling someone stupid is a little harsh.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tagprod
    The electrician made a mistake and you have an opportunity to teach him about his error. I think calling someone stupid is a little harsh.
    is there another "cut the plug off" story someones' not telling?
    24,000 gal SWG pool
    Bunch of stuff
    Aqua Blue Pebblesheen
    2 Colorlogic LED lights
    Huge Hayward D.E. filter
    more stuff

6. Back To Top    #6

Relax, everyone. I just want to know if it's OK to replace the factory plug with a water-tight plug from Home Depot. When the factory sealed plug is cut off, you lose the UL/CSA rating, is it possible to "restore" the rating by replacing the plug?
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

7. Back To Top    #7

This is a "yes but" kind of situation. Yes, if you use the correct kind of plug it will nominally met code, but it is at the inspectors discretion to a large extent and the inspector can still say no.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School