Looking for Electric Heater for 4500 gallon pool

blacknoir

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2013
Minnesota
Hey all! The pool is starting to melt and the family is insisting on a heater for the summer. I can't run gas to where it would need to go so i'm looking for something electric that I can use but i have NO idea what to look for. I'm also hoping i can find something that can run off 120v so i don't have to run new electrical line.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We had two ecosaver solar panels with our intex and it worked great. We use a separate intex filter for the solar so you can run as needed. We have four panels with the new pool. In full sun we had the intex up to 98 degrees, what's nice is that you can run the solar at nite to drop the water temp too! You're at about $400 for two 20' panels and the small filter and hoses and a weekend to set up and stop leaks!

No way you will get anything to run on 120 to heat a pool. figuring a 15 amp draw on the 120 line would give you 1800 watts of heat. That converts to roughly 6,000 BTU's. You have roughly 38,000 lbs of water to heat. At that BTU rate it would take at least 6 hrs to get a one deg temp rise (not counting in heat loss). Idealy you would want a 100,000 BTU heater for that pool and that would give you about a 2 deg temp rise per hour.

So if i can get a 240 supply to the pool what would be a recommendation for heater?

As for solar, i'm afraid i just don't have the space for the panels. My yard is taken up by too much stuff already and the house is not in a convenient place to allow me to run the water to the roof and back.

to get a two deg temp rise per hour you would need a 30,000 watt heater. That is roughly the equivalent of a 100,000 btu's. that type of power at 240 will need a 125 amp feed.

You still will not like the power bill but, you will be able to heat the pool at about 2 deg per hour

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.