Pool help; air and black algae

Apr 30, 2014
California
I just bought a house with a pool rough 20 years old with newer plaster and my pump was shot so I installed a new Hayward Ecostar on a sand system, pump would auto prime no problem for first two weeks and now it won't and I cannot run it faster then 2000 rpm without bucket being 1/2 empty but while on low speed bucket is full. Skimmer level is fine and I can't find air leak on 2" pipe, could the check valve before the pump be blocked up with debri from vacuuming ? I also have a black algae prob, first shocked it
Then used black algae killer and no prevail twice!

Pool size is rough 25k

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Solve your issues one at a time. Let's work on your air leak. There is an article in Pool School that may help you understand suction side leaks better. Your idea of the check valve is a good one. Can you see in it? Suction leaks are hard to track down so you will have to be very methodical to find the source of air. when you do, your pump will prime and run at high speed.

The problem is somewhere between your pump and your skimmer(s).

The check valve in front of the pump helps the pump to prime when you start up.

Is it a valve you cannot see into? Can you take it apart and look for debris. If it is clogged up, that can be the cause of your symptoms

Alright check valve is clear but pump still wknt auto prime or run full on speeds above 1750, as soon as it's above 1750 the pot stays level with the inlet but the inlet is flowing at max diameter. Any ideas? Pump is only 1 month old.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, if the air is accumulating in the top of your filter, you have a suction side air leak. There really is no other explanation for that symptom.

It is not uncommon for many to say, "No, I don't" but if you think about it a little, the air can come from nowhere else.

Finding it can be a real hassle but somewhere between the pump and the skimmer, air is being sucked in.

Did you read the article in Pool School? It may help you.

if the leak was underground wouldn't there be evidence of mud ?
Suction leaks are VERY seldom underground but they can be.

There is no reason for there to be mud as water could only get into the soil when the pump is off and water doesn't travel up.....it goes down.

That said, the emphasis here should be that an underground leak is quite unusual on the suction side.

Have you put shaving cream on all the joints ahead of the pump? Have you done all of them at once? It could be that you have more than one leak and the pumping problems won't go away until you have all of them temporarily sealed with shave cream. Given that you've just installed a new pump, I would wager that the installer did some plumbing work or even re-routing of the pipes for the new pump and there's probably a couple leaky joints in there. Go to town on the whole thing with a couple cans of barbasol and let us know if the situation improves. Also bear in mind that if the leak is bad the shaving cream can very quickly be sucked up into the pipe and the leak can resume. If you put the cream on thick you might even be able to see where it's being sucked into the fitting.

Oh, and you are using shave cream and not 'gel', right?

I had a leaky fitting and the shaving cream trick worked really well for me, for whatever that's worth. I put it on thick, so thick I couldn't see the joint it was covering.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.