GFI breaker or outlet?

Ke

Sep 29, 2007
Toronto
I have a pole light standing less than 10 ft. from the pool. When the electrical inspector came, he said it needs to be GFI protected. A GFI breaker for my type of main panel costs about $200, I was thinking to connect a GFI outlet (which costs about $20) next to the panel, and then connect the pole light circuit to the "back" of the outlet which is also GFI protected. Is this OK?

Ouch! $200 for a breaker? What brand of panel do you have? I had to replace one of the GFCI breakers in the panel on my pool house, as it wouldn't trip any more. (Everyone does know to test these, right?) A new 20 amp GFCI breaker for this GE panel cost about $36 at Home Depot. The ones to fit my Square-D main panel costs about the same. $200 is pretty harsh! :eek:

Connecting the pole light to the load side of a GFCI breaker will protect the light circuit and provide a handy outdoor outlet. 8) Just be sure to also purchase a watertight junction box, watertight fittings and the proper conduit. You will also need an outdoor rated faceplate to cover the outlet when not in use.

HarryH3 said:
Ouch! $200 for a breaker? What brand of panel do you have? I had to replace one of the GFCI breakers in the panel on my pool house, as it wouldn't trip any more. (Everyone does know to test these, right?) A new 20 amp GFCI breaker for this GE panel cost about $36 at Home Depot. The ones to fit my Square-D main panel costs about the same. $200 is pretty harsh! :eek:

At that price I would almost have to guess it is a Federal :rant:

The brand is Commander.
I am connecting the GFI outlet next to the main panel in the basement. The cable to the pole light is buried in a conduit and it enters "somewhere" into the house, it will be almost impossible to install a GFI protection closer to the pole light. The main panel is about 75 ft. from the pole light. Is there a maximum distance between the GFI and the light?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that home runs should be kept below 100 feet, so you should be OK.

GFCI works by monitoring the current flowing through each side of the circuit and comparing the two. If there is a difference between them of 5 milliamps or above, the circuit trips off. Unlike the Crud science that you see on TV, cutting the ground plug off of a power cord doesn't defeat the usefulness of a GFCI protection device. :roll:

You can use a faceless GFI. It is a GFI with no outlets. You just use the load protection from the GFI to feed the light. I would just get an outdoor box with an in use cover and the faceless GFI and install the box on the pole. The cost would be about $30 total.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.