New pool west Houston/Katy ideas around cost and pool builder

Apr 27, 2014
Houston, TX
I am new to the forum and never owned a pool. I am looking to put in a pool/spa. I am thinking both pool and spa at surface level with no raised walls or water features. Does anyone have something similar to the below in the Katy or West Houston area, and are you willing to share or PM me with who you used, and about what that should cost? Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

85 Perimeter Pool and Spa
Flagstone Coping
Waterline Tile
Interior Bench
Tanning Shelf
325 Sq. Ft. Acrylic Texture Decking Mastic
White Plaster
2HP Hayward TriStar Pump
4030 Hayward Cartridge Filter
250K Hayward Heater
Intermatic Time Clock
500 Watt Pool Light
100 Watt Spa Light
Ultra Pure Ozone 3
Polaris 280 Automatic Pool Cleaner
50 Lin Ft Electric Run
20 Lin Ft. Plumbing Run (Skimmer to Equipment Pad)
25 Lin Ft. Natural Gas Run
Remove and Re-install Fence
Gunite and Final Clean-ups
Complete Start-Up and Maintenance Kit
Top 2 Bottom Base System w/Eco-Jets

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

No idea of costs, but here are my thoughts:
1. Nix the Ozone. It serves no added benefit in a residential outdoor pool.
2. Upgrade to a 2-speed pump, there is a Tristar version. Running on low for filtration will greatly reduce your electrical costs. Switch to high speed for the spa.
3. The Polaris 280 requires a booster pump that is not listed. With that type of cleaner, you have to have 2 pumps running which use electricity. Might consider getting a robot instead.
4. The bigger the heater, the faster it will heat up your spa. Consider a 400k heater ... preferably Raypak and not Hayward, but you may not have that option.
5. Order one of the Recommended Test Kits and read through Pool School well before your pool is completed.

4. The bigger the heater, the faster it will heat up your spa. Consider a 400k heater ... preferably Raypak and not Hayward, but you may not have that option.
Small disagreement from me on switching away from a Hayward; Hayward offer an extended warranty when you purchase 3 or more of their products. As such, changing heater brand would lose you a couple of years warranty which I think is worth hanging on to.

We built in the Cypress area (so just a little North of you) last year but had quite a lot of features and so my cost probably isn't that helpful to you. However, if you have a quote already, post it and there's quite a few people that live in the Greater Houston area that can comment on prices of individual elements. Do you only have 325 sqft of decking? That's not much and I'd recommend considering more.

Based on the info you've provided I'd expect you to be in the mid $40k's here in Houston.

Just think of it as an investment for you and your family. We are currently building and I think I have gone through a roller coaster of emotions. from everyones posts this seems normal.

I believe when you buy a pool you are buying a lifestyle. I can't wait to be a"pool guy"

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all. when do i get over sticker shock

We were sent over the edge also on our bids. We really wanted a gunite but just could not budget it for what we really wanted. It could have been a smaller build and came in on budget but no matter what size everyone builds, I hear down the road they wished they went larger. We decided for a liner and the cost was cut in half. The builders here in Mississippi are on the high side to begin with. I see lots of pools in Texas that the bids would be welcome here, seems cheaper. I guess much more competition out there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.