careingemt

Sep 11, 2013
PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
When is the best time to have pump turn on and off. (should I let the sun heat up the pool and then have it set to come on at 1pm and off at 9pm. I do have a solar cover) or is 6 hours enough.

The one water turnover is a myth. Basically it's long enough to keep the water to your liking. Lots of people run for 4-6 hours and are fine with that. I'm one of them.
Now if you have an SWG that may take longer pump run times to make sure the pool has adequate chlorine. That's not your case.
There is an article in pool school on how to determine pump run time.

You mean this article

Pump Run Time

Conventional wisdom is that most pools need 1-2 turnovers per day. However, studies have shown that most pools need far less run time than that and can usually get away with 3-4 hours of run time per day. However, for two speed or variable speed pumps on low speed, the skimming action tends to decrease so the run time may need to be increased to compensate. The bottom line is to run your pump long enough to keep chlorine at recommended levels and to keep the pool clean enough for your own personal preference.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

2yzudatu.jpg

Test results from 8/25/13

Nice pool Fran - hope you recognize that their advice from their tests are a tad off base and they just want you to spend money on the wrong stuff....? Like calcium increaser you don't need to worry about in a vinyl pool....
Have you purchased your own test kit?

You don't need the PH increased either. Even though that's an old test. Just an example of things you don't need. Fran is going to get a good test kit hopefully. We've been working on him pretty hard.

thanks. I have a wal-mart 6 way test kit. Last year I used strips so i'm getting better. seriously thinking of TF-50. I do have a heater if this means anything

- - - Updated - - -

most accurate I had at the time I was using strips to test.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't need the PH increased either. Even though that's an old test. Just an example of things you don't need. Fran is going to get a good test kit hopefully. We've been working on him pretty hard.

.... I am confused ... my test results were 7.0 on pic min is 7.2 - max is 7.6 ..... TFP recommends 7.5 - 7.8
why should I not increase PH

honestly trying to understand not to be disrespectful in any way

- - - Updated - - -

PH - Acidity/Alkalinity

PH indicates how acidic or basic the water is. PH should be tested daily at first. Once you gain experience with your pool, less frequent monitoring may be appropriate, depending on your pool's typical rate of PH change. A PH level of 7.7 and 7.8 is ideal, but really anything between 7.5 and 7.8 is doing fine, while levels between 7.2 and 8.0 are acceptable for

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because you can use borax to raise PH. You can get that at Walmart also, in the laundry isle. Usually PH will raise on its own. You can also take your return jet and point it upwards so the water is breaking the surface. That's called aeration and that will increase PH.
My PH is usually 7.2-7.4. I don't mess with it.

I was only talking about the calcium. Sorry :)
Yes you do want to raise the PH, but as stated, cheaper to buy Borax.
Ah, on the heater. Check your heater warranty. Some do require a 200-250 calcium level, but if the heater is out of warranty don't worry about the calcium level in vinyl pool.
The TF-50 would be a great idea. ;-)
So with your 6-way, have you tested the PH yourself?

Tonight I will test... very hard to distinguish colors between glass and color of water.... maybe just not to testing

Because you can use borax to raise PH. You can get that at Walmart also, in the laundry isle. Usually PH will raise on its own. You can also take your return jet and point it upwards so the water is breaking the surface. That's called aeration and that will increase PH.
My PH is usually 7.2-7.4. I don't mess with it.

Did not know I could raise Ph with aeration. Thanks. Idea to follow

Cool...... will post link later.... can I come off of main.return feed to add PVC to aierate

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.