Looking to install new above ground pool

eng208

Apr 29, 2014
Plains Ga
Hi, first post. I am wanting to install a new above ground pool. I am suffering from analysis paralysis. :shaking: I had an Intex basic frame pool several years ago we loved, but it only lasted about three years before the frame rusted out. We did have a salt water generator on it and loved the low maintenance. I then bought a small easy set pool and rigged the filter and SWG to work on that. We used it last year for my daughter but she is 7. It is still in place, but obviously not going to work long term. We were gone on the weekends just about all summer anyway on boating trips. The pressure is on me to get another pool installed, and I have no idea what to look into. The budget is pretty tight, but I don't want a real cheap pool. Some friends of the family just had a resin ABG pool installed last summer, but it costs about 4K and that is just more than I will spend. I know Sam's has the Pro Series which seems real similar to the Intex. Apparently, the pumps on the entry level pools are minimal at best. The area I have can handle up to a 20 foot pool.

I have searched and read on here so many threads. While I feel like I know a little more, it is more than overwhelming. One thing is for sure, there are some beautiful above ground pools out there. I just learned about the foam bottom. Thought that was pretty neat.
Any advice some of you knowledgeable folks could given out?
Thanks

Hi eng208! Welcome to TFP!

I bought my Sharkline Venture from PoolSupplyWorld.com last year and I think it is beautiful! I just got done telling hubby how well it looks up against our sided garage. I paid a little over 2k for it because I had found a pump/filter combo with a few accessories on Craig's List. Here is a pic of it...

They have a few different pools to chose from. Check them out!

I am suffering from analysis paralysis.

I was about to post this same thing last night and came across your post. Looks like something I would have written almost word for word.

There is way too much info online... it''ll make your head spin. I'm looking to do a 24' AGP as well and thought I was going with the Sharkline Matrix. Now I'm second guessing that. A couple of installers swear by steel uprights and bottom rail... and I can see their points. The resin may get brittle, especially during the cold winters. If the resin gets hit during that time with a baseball, or some other hard object... can it / will it crack? Consensus is that steel is the stronger material. As far as the bottom track and uprights go, I think the better scenario is to go with steel.

I think that with steel, it may be slightly more forgiving than resin. If the bottom rail needs to move even the slightest bit... steel will bend but still retain most of it's strength. If resin were to bend, would it be more likely to crack and give?

I know many on this site have posted that they have had their all resin pools up for 2 or 3 seasons and are completely happy with them... but will that be the same 10+ years down the road? With the advances that the industry has made with steel... I would think that steel may be the better choice... and cheaper as well.

Anyone have any advice to help us out?

We went with the Sharkline Matrix for ours. All resin except for walls. Ours also came from poolsupplyworld.com. Things to note, 1. the resin top rails gouge very easily, we used bungees and bottles for the pool cover over the winter and it really messed up the top rails, will need to find an alternative for next year. Also, if you plan to have any "over the wall" items, like the salt water generator or lights that install under the rail and over the wall, they will not fit the matrix. If it wasn't for the salt I would not recommend the resin again. we haven't even been in the pool yet since it was set up and the rails are really a mess.IMG_2763.JPG

Looks like the Venture also has the resin bottom rails. Why did you put the addition blocks under the bottom rails? Additional support? Were those necessary? or did you just decide to add them? Nice looking pool BTW.

That was a personal choice of mine. I did not have a lot of time when things started moving on this build because my husband was in a near fatal motorcycle accident and I did not have tome to set/recess the pavers into the ground so I bought extra for the bottom rails to set on. I wish I'd of had more time to do things (smoother bottom) but everything was going so fast and I was taking care of him by myself so I think it turned out super considering the circumstances! :mrgreen: The Venture has resin bottom rails. I chose this pool because of the bottom rails. I've had 2 above ground pools that had the steel walls and rails and both rails had deteriorated and that is why I chose this one. It's got steel uprights and resin top rails. I think it's a beautiful pool and was so simple to assemble! I'd recommend it to anyone!!!

Is that a sticker Suzy? It's so totally cute!!! :mrgreen: I have resin top rails and they are holding up very nicely! No gouges. I'm sorry to hear your rails are of poor quality.

Yup! We have the coral reef liner and love snorkeling so we have the portholes all the way around!

- - - Updated - - -

I was really surprised about the rails too. We thought we were getting the high end but we had issues with the top rail from install to winter cover. And it was installed by pros. Broken pieces, rails didn't fit. If it wasn't such a nightmare I'd swap them out. Not worth the hassle. Won't see it from the pool float anyway!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 304
SuzyAbbott - If you had to do over again, would you have gone with a pool with the Resin rails? I've got 3 boys... so I'm sure they'll beat this thing up pretty good over the years. I was thinking that the Steel rails to get dented up over time...

I'm sure I am over-thinking this. Steel pools have been around for a long time. I'm not sure as to how long pools with resin bottom rails have been around... so not sure about the longevity.

bobct1 My last pool had steel top rails and my daughter was swimming under water with her eyes closed. I just got done putting the rail on and she came up for air, busted her head off it and dented it! :shock: :lol:

Suzy, can you post pics of the top rails and gouges you're talking about? My top rails seem strong!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Casey - ouch!

So having had a steel pool in the past, and now resin... which would you recommend? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I really like the look of both Sharlines - Venture and Matrix. Suzy's comment about the rails gouging easily makes me a little nervous though.

I would get the Venture over and over again unless... of course... hubby buys me an in ground pool in which case I'd get a lagoon style/mountain pond sport pool about 6 ft max depth. Hubby doesn't like it deep and I don't need a deep pool to lounge around and play with the grandbaby/ies. :cool:

I really like this resin pool. If I ever sell it, I don't have to worry about the track turning to paper and falling apart because that's what the steel tracks do as they sit and rust/rot on the ground from the moisture. The plastic/resin isn't going anywhere.

I have the Sharkline Repreive, metal walls and top rails. I have had it since March and I have a few small scratches but nothing too serious. I was able to remove the top rail and install the Night Lighter Multicolor pool light without much trouble. Funny that people would mention a kid hitting her head because for the first time yesterday, I watched a kid surface and I gasped as she came "that close" to hitting her head. However, it's much like the first time I was lost in lap swimming and I slammed my hand on the concrete pool deck - I did it that ONE time and I have NEVER done it again. Of course, I would feel horrible if my kid did it:*

For the 15x52 I got the delivery, leveling/root removal, upgraded boulder 25 mil liner, pool, cove, bottom foam, wide-mouth skimmer, hard plumb everything, and install for $1600. I already had the ladder, pump, filter, and whatever else goes with a pool...LoL. I am watching it rain so, I cannot find any joy when thinking about the pool. I recently found an "open box" Hayward 3/4 hp matrix pro flow pump online for $146. Found an "open box" Lil Shark automatic cleaner on Ebay for $85 and it works great. I know $1600 for this size pool might have been a little pricey compared to ordering it online and installing it myself BUT, I spent so much time dealing with Intex pools that I had no energy left to tackle this one. I think it was 4 Intex pools in less than 2 years. For me, the extra money was worth it to let someone else do the work (I didn't even watch) and just walk outside and get in the pool.

f3 - so you went with the bottom foam? 1.5"? 2"? rigid foam insulation... the 4'x8' sheets like the type from home depot or lowes? was it duct-taped or tyvek-taped? do you notice the seems at the bottom? I was thinking about not going with the bottom foam... but the more I think about it, and the area that I'd like to put it in... I'm thinking it is a better idea.

How do you like the pool light?

Great tips. Have looked at the Sharkline lineup. Not quite ready to spend what it will take to get what I want and not ready to sacrifice for less either. I am thinking a Venture with carribean liner, cartridge pump, and upgraded ladder. I am thinking I like Suzy's signature set up.

You won't be disappointed with the Sharkline Venture.

I actually used the cheapest Styrofoam HD had. I duct taped the seams and hardly noticed the tape. It felt awesome. I love the Night Lighter. The first one I got on Craigslist and I think the saltwater got to it because it was old. The second one I got on eBay for $68. Shortly after I purchased it, the company raised the price above $90. I do love a deal.

SuzyAbbott - So I've been reading a little bit about securing the winter cover... and I'm not sure how your pool was gouged. How did you secure the cover that it ended up gouging the top rail?

Also, do you find the 24' pool to be big enough? or do you wish you had gone larger - 27'-28'?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.