Ground water coming in behind liner on IG pool

Apr 29, 2014
We just bought a house with an IG pool we knew it needed major work. We just discovered that we have an issue with ground water could a French drain fix my problem??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. :lol: My pool has a French Drain that serves that exact purpose. During a real frog strangler, the French drain carries off around 8-10 gpm of water.

You have to be able to carry the water downhill to daylight......can you do that?

Welcome to TFP ?
The other thing is if the water is from actual ground water is make sure the drain is deep enough. You'll need to get as deep as the water level. If it's just from rain fall that's different.

Thank you all for the tips. It is actual rain water that is running from the hill above my house it gets worse with the rain:( we are starting the French drain on Monday (if the rain stops) we are looking at digging 8 feet deep since that seems to be the depth on the pool it is coming in. Then we are going to drop the liner once we are sure this problem is fixed.(ugh who knew a pool that brings so much joy in the summer could be the biggest headache .)

I'm no French drain expert but I wouldn't thing you need to dig down that deep. The idea is to catch the runoff water and divert it to lower ground than the pool. A sewer in your case maybe? I hope somebody will correct me if I'm wrong here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope we don't have to go that far and we hit the water sooner the old owner said it was run off from the hill and my contractor friend said maybe and under ground spring since we live on old strip lands

Again.....I'm going to caveat this my "not an expert"........but...

Down hear when we had our pool dug the builder said "if we hit water" it will cost more because they'd have to basically put a dry well with sump pump under it. This didn't happen to us. It happened to friends and they DID hit groundwater while digging pool. I would think that if the water that is concerning you is getting behind the liner on the sides, this is groundwater. If it were a spring, I'd think your pool (with no liner as in the pics)would be filling itself up from below.

That is what it kinda looks like but there was a crack on the back wall that I'm hoping the water is coming in from there bc that would just mean run off from the hill

You might try calling your county agricultural / land extension. They get paid to know about things like this.
At least they might give you some idea.

If you live near a lake or large body of water, etc ,then the chances of it being ground water increases.

You may know this already, but to clarify just in case:

There are two separate issues going on here. Water like I see in the picture is not a problem for the pool long term. The water inside the liner will keep the water outside the liner from causing any issues.

However, there is a short term problem, in that the hole has to be dry to the bottom while the liner is being installed. You might just be able to wait until a dryer time of year and install the liner then, or you can get the water out of the hole in any of several short term ways while the install is being done.

The idea is to catch the runoff water and divert it to lower ground than the pool. A sewer in your case maybe?

Not a good idea. If you are on city sewer in almost all locals it's against the law to put anything into the sewer but household waste. No gutters, no sump pumps and no rain run off. They don't want to have to treat any more water than they have to and should you get caught it can get expensive. If you don't have city sewer and you have a septic system the rainwater can overflow it, make it backup and that's a mess.

You'd want to do the plumb it to daylight or install an electric pump to push it someplace it will drain away from anything it could cause a problem or damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.