So embarrassed...Defeating the Giant Green Monster

Jules

Jun 14, 2011
Kemp, Tx
My pool is green, dark green.

At what point is it better to drain and start over? I can't believe it got this bad. Life has been hectic the last several months and before I knew it I had a swamp on my hands.

Edited to add: full set of test results and pics

Fc- 0
Cc- 0
Ph- 8.2
Ta- 80
Ch- 80
Cya- 25

Re: So embarrassed....

I see you have the TF-100, How is your CYA level? That looks like a lot of gallons to drain!

Why not a green to clean SLAM?

You're either going to be paying for the water or paying for the bleach. Well either way since most times it's not safe to drain completely you'll need to SLAM.

I think the first request of everyone here is going to be....
:testresults:

or maybe a picture. ;)

*edit*

and don't be embarassed! Life happens. On the bright side, green pools make for stunning rehab pics!

I've often wondered about the drain/refill vs. SLAM approach. I barely noticed the cost of the 9,200 gallons of water required to fill my pool when it was new, and I don't believe I have an issue with a shallow water table. In any event, it only took about 10 hours to fill my pool. Could the pool shell pop up in such a short time?

While I don't see it happening, if I ever really let it go and ended up with a swamp, I'd be inclined to drain/refill--especially with a cartridge filter. If it just turned a little green or cloudy, I'd SLAM it. My only concern is the water table issue.

I suppose the water table can change, but there clearly was not a problem when my pool was built.

I'm no expert - but SLAM SLAM SLAM - IMHO your water is salvageable, assuming you don't have 5" of solid debris, etc.

I definitely don't have 5" of debris. I guess I'm going to SLAM it. I'll be updating this thread with pics. I'll more than likely start tomorrow. I need to get a stockpile of bleach going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

My pool looked that way when I uncovered it on Saturday. I started the SLAM process on Sunday once the pool was full of water. 24 hours later its looking so much better but the bad part is I've been having to backwash my DE filter every 3-4 hours so at night I just bypass the filter and get it going again in the morning. I'd give my pool another couple of days and maybe 40 more pounds of DE and I'll be there :). I was disgusted yesterday and much happier today with all the hard work I put in (scrubbing the walls, cleaning the robot, checking the FC, adding bleach, and lots of backwashing the filter).

Water may be cheap here but I know that the aquifer that we are using locally is 40,000 year old water. And it is refilling at about half the rate we are draining it.

The first step in SLAMing the pool is to lower the PH to around 7.2 to 7.4. Full instructions are in the How To section of Pool School.

That's my very first step tomorrow morning. I've helped friends with the SLAM process before (ironic?). I bought all of the bleach my local walmart had (17 jugs), I'll send DH out tomorrow to the next town over to pick up as much as he can. We're going to need it!

Good Luck Jules! I'm surprised my pool didn't turn to a swamp last year right after I put it up. Heck I'm surprised I even got the pool up because of life (my husband was in a motorcycle accident right before install and I was taking care of him afterward along with the pool! I almost didn't cover it because I was tired but I did and I'm so glad I did!) Don't be embarrassed. You seem to know what you need to do. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.