Pool resurface question - really need your inputs

dscut

Jul 8, 2013
Hi all,

I really need some inputs on my pool project here. I drained the pool earlier in January with the hope to get the pool project done by February. But I never get the chance to finish it up due to my work schedule. I will have to leave the pool due to travel arrangements and return in June to have pool guys to resurface the pool. I want to know what might be my best remedy now to avoid any potential damages to my pool structure/surface between now and June. Should I fill the water till the water-line tile or till the steps? My tiles have been chipped away and part of the copings are taken off.

I know I should not have left my pool empty for so long but life is just getting busy recently.

Thanks!

Attachments

• WP_20140428_027[1].jpg
    WP_20140428_027[1].jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 116
The answer varies depending on a couple of factors. If you live in a hot desert region, you should fill the pool. If your local water table could come up above the bottom of the pool you should fill at least to the height the water table might reach. You might not need to fill if you have holes drilled in the bottom or a valve in the main drain that lets in ground water.

Thanks both for your reply. The plaster is rough and I can feel it start to rub my feet and hands while In pool. Had several contractors come over and all suggested to replaster - I thought about painting but gave it up since the reviews for painting are sort of mixed and people from the forum also suggested against painting. Anyway I took out all the tiles and loosing copings and ended up breaking some of them. Now the project is to reseat loosing copings, grinder off mortar and install new tiles, and replaster.

Just curious if you know the age of your plaster? As jbliz mentioned, it looks quite good despite the feel. Hoping (working towards) a long plaster life myself.

No, I don't really know the age of the plaster but the house and the pool was built around 20 yrs ago and I assume that is also the life of the current plaster. Have several pieces missing and several areas popped up (one is next to main drain with around 5 ft * 3ft needs to knocked away since it is hollow).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.