So glad I didn't give up!!! TFP, all the way!

Apr 28, 2014
Lower NC
Hello,

I'm new to pool care and this forum. We purchased a house with a 15,000 gallon above ground pool. In the last month we have spent hundreds of dollars and numerous hours to no avail. The water is still cloudy and we have followed all the directions from our local pool company. I am starting to think they just want to see how much money we will spend before we give up! I will go after the rain and have the water tested again, If I post the results here will you please try to help me get our water clear? Thank you in advance for any help you can offer! Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Re: Should I just give up? Can

Welcome to TFP!

Unfortunately, the pool store was not the best choice of people to trust. I know it seems obvious, pool store people make it their business to give pool advice, so they ought to know what they are doing. Unfortunately, incompetence and greed often over-ride that, and more often than not a pool store is the last place you should go for advice.

You need to completely stop trusting the pool store. They have been giving you bad advice, and that more likely than not starts with bad water testing. You really should take over responsibility for your pool, and that starts with getting a top quality test kit. Yes, that does mean spending some more money. But a top quality test kit is the foundation of getting control over your pool and drastically reducing the amount you need to spend in the long run. Without reliable water test results, it is impossible to know what to do next.

I will order the test kit, I need to get the water clear! Thanks for the advise, I am willing to try anything at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html .... so are we thinking with this kit I can get the job done?

We recommend getting a kit with a FAS-DPD chlorine test. This test is a huge improvement over the other available options. Test kits with that test are fairly rare, and usually only available over the Internet.

The best value is the TF-100 from TFTestKits.net. The K-2006, available form many sources, is also reasonable, though you will likely need to supplement it with some replacement reagents as the quantities of some of the tests is very small.

I need to let others comment on the kit since I put it together.

I can comment that you will get TONS of help here. Everyone on the forum started in the same place as you and we will help you get your pool crystal clear without spending a HUGE amount of money.

Keep browsing the forum and read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School......that'll give you a start on the basics. Ask lot's of questions.

Wendy ~ Welcome to TFP!

I would get the test kit if I were you. I don't get any sales for saying that! Just a clear and beautiful pool and a lot of insurance that if this rain were having for the next for days tanks my water, I'll know how to fix it! It is worth the money and you won't regret it!

Wendy,

The link you provided in your update isn't of the kits we recommend. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the service. We are not really able to give you accurate advice until results are posted. Until then however, can you please describe to us your waters condition? Is it a greenish color or just cloudy?

And to add to leebo, do you remember what the pool store had you dump in, chemical wise?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Your kit I'm sure will be mailed out very shortly and we'll help you once it arrives. Until then run the pump as normal and add 10cups of unscented bleach each night just after sunset. This will help to keep algae at bay until your kit arrives.

Welcome to TFP! Get ready to kick the pool store to the curve and enjoy YOUR pool!

Private message! :mrgreen:

You're going to love the speed stir!

Wendy,

Welcome to the forum! That TF100 is the best money you can spend on your pool. Test chlorine and Ph everyday (there's a small test kit for that, very easy to do. 5 drops of chemical in each side, look at the colors). You will do a full battery of tests with the TF100 and post the numbers so we can help. While you are waiting for the kit- read up on pool school (there's a link at the top). Start stocking up on bleach. Lots of it! You'll use that instead of the pool store chlorine which has other stuff in it you don't need. Most people find the clorox triple pack at costco to be cheap and easy to buy. Only pure bleach, no "outdoor" or other stuff with additives.

Once you have your numbers, you'll punch them into the poolmatch calculator and it shows you what to put in! Super easy.

Read up on some threads in this section. You're not alone, every day newcomers post about their problems and it's fun to follow their progress from a cloudy/green mess to a crystal clear pool without even going to the pool store.

Add to your signature the size of your pool, gallons, type of pump, etc.

Welcome, and while you wait on your kit, how about giving us a better description of your pool, and maybe a couple of photos so we can get a better idea of what you are dealing with. Also I suggest reading the pool school link in the upper right of this page, then read it again, and maybe a third time. Most people get a lot more out of it the second or third time through.

Ike

Welcome Wendy! Not much to add since I'm fairly new too. I just wanted to add that your in great hands on this site. Any questions you have these folks are so helpful and will get you on the right track to simple and inexpensive pool maintenance!

I'm just adding my welcome to the others! You've come to the right place. The best part is everyone here is just helping because we like helping. We don't get paid, we aren't trying to get your money or get you to buy expensive stuff so we make our sales goal for the day. We like helping other people and our reward is seeing pics of beautiful sparkly pools.

A hint for pics, photobucket is a great place to upload pics and link them here. All you have to do is upload a pic there and click the link it gives you on the right under "links to share this photo". If you click the last link in the IMG box it will copy it for you. Then in your post just ctrl + v and it will paste the code to show the photo when you post. (Maybe you already know this but I figured I'd just type it out anyway!):crazy:

I hope I ordered the right one!!! Can you check and see if I got the correct item number to the product?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the welcome and information, I am new here and had no idea. All the information I can get at the point will be helpful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.