A/G Deep End Dig Washout - How to Repair

TomU

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2007
Wyoming, Michigan
I am in the process of digging out a deep end for a 27' round A/G. Over the last week we have had some torrential downpours (4" of rain just last night) and some of the side walls for the deep end are washed in and/or deeply trenched from all the water. The soil is extremely sandy, so once it washes in, I'm having a hard time repairing the problem areas and getting them to pack (and sometimes even stay put). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might repair the trenches (some up to 5" deep) and the washed out areas well enough to last through liner installation? I'm also concerned that after the water is in the pool, I may have excessive compression in these washed out areas. Thanks!

Tom

TomU said:
I am in the process of digging out a deep end for a 27' round A/G. Over the last week we have had some torrential downpours (4" of rain just last night) and some of the side walls for the deep end are washed in and/or deeply trenched from all the water. The soil is extremely sandy, so once it washes in, I'm having a hard time repairing the problem areas and getting them to pack (and sometimes even stay put). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might repair the trenches (some up to 5" deep) and the washed out areas well enough to last through liner installation? I'm also concerned that after the water is in the pool, I may have excessive compression in these washed out areas. Thanks!

Tom

I don't have any suggestions but I would agree you have reason to worry, once the water gets in their the pressure will compact the trenches even more. We had toads trench around the outside of our pool, and you can really see on the liner side where they tunneled out the sand. All the gook settles there....

Tom, a more expensive, but better, way of dealing with this is to vermiculite the bottom $$$. A

At the very least I'd run a motorized compactor over the entire floor after filling in the voids, preferably just before the liner goes in. It might be tough to get the compactor up the walls, if so, hand tamp them as much as you can.

I was thinking the same thing waste!

Keep us posted Tom. 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.