another bonding question

joedoe

Oct 19, 2013
pittsburgh pa
i currently under construction and have been reading quite a bit about bonding, and i think i get the concept, but when reading NEC 680 (paraphrasing here), which states anything metal within 5feet of the pool must be bonded and i read a couple places anything greater than 3-4 inches in diameter that is metal must also be bonded. my question is if my fence, at any point is no closer than 10 feet from the edge of the pool does it need bonding?
and frankly, if it doesn't require it, should i just do it any way? it only a wire, so not a terrible cost for safety.
opinions?

hmmm, that is a good question, unless you count bonding of the concrete decking, which also brings to mind a question about that. i have a 10-40patio which has nothing but fiber in the concrete and has held up for 15 years with one small crack, so i was thinking of doing the same for the pool deck. therefore, it would not contain any rebar, does it need bonded? however, my second thought was, well if it is gonna have water all over it, it may be good to put a copper grid encased in the concrete for bonding. i have read this in several places on the net.
additionally, my pool is a hydra composite wall(plastic) wall package. the only metal used to construct the walls is the corner upright pieces. they look like 4 inch angle iron (SS) about 42inches high that are fastened with nylon bolts and wing nuts. should i connect these to the bonding system?

The deck needs to have either rebar or a copper grid any time it is within 3' of the water. Rebar is significantly less expensive, so most people go that route. It is fine to use fiber concrete for the entire deck, and only have rebar near the pool.

If the 4 inch angle iron pieces you mention are part of the pool wall, then yes each of them must be bonded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.