2 speed pump and heater with no automation

Blueskies21

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2011
Middle TN
So we're getting ready to start on the electrical of our pool in progress and I'm not sure if I'm going to manage to work the automation into the budget or not. Without automation what do I need to control a Hayward heater( it has a built-in display) and a two speed pump? Maybe the same question about 2 Hayward colorlogic led lights. Do they have a separate controller or just need a switch?

If I do manage to get an automation system like the Hayward pro logic, I guess I need 2 relays for the pump and either one or two for the lights, and one for the heater??

It doesn't seem like the prologic panel has a main breaker, does it need an external main breaker?

Thanks for the help.

For the pump you would just need a timer and a switch to manually select speeds. The lights would just need a single switch (I am not sure how those lights work though, by bulb changes color by cycling the power). The heater would control itself.

The Prologic has a built-in breaker panel, with only 8 slots, so no real need for a main breaker usually, but you could wire one in. The pump would use 2 relays and the light a 3rd, the heater would not need a relay.

To control the lights, I think you need at least the ps4, the p4 may not be compatible.

Is there a spa attached to the pool? If so, then you would probably have a need to automate your valves, maybe. Hayward does have a entry level automation system but it would require you to have a separate electrical box to hold the breakers. I'm sure though that your builder has already included a panel with built in clock timer so then you would just add the Hayward controller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.