Broken impeller screw

Ibalee

Apr 12, 2014
Houston,tx
Just when I thought the motor replacement couldn't get more complicated this happens. I just received my motor and was trying to remove the impeller. I have the Hayward Tristar model where a screw holds the impeller in. The screw was worn out and the hex key didn't fit. So I used a vice grip to turn the impeller counter clockwise. I turned little too hard and hear a snap followed by the impeller loosening. Here are some pictures. Any ideas on how I can remove the head of the impeller screw from the impeller? Thanks in advance

View attachment 28755
View attachment 28756

Thanks. It was late in the night and didn't think to try this

- - - Updated - - -

I'm now wrestling with the question.... do I even need one? This thread seem to suggest otherwise

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/41842-Pump-impeller-screw-needed

Most impellers don't use one. I have installed impellers without the screw with no problems.

The main risk of unwinding the impeller is if you have compressed air in the filter that blows water backwards and reverses the impeller rotation when the pump turns off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.