Help...First time Pool owner needing start up help

I am a first time above ground pool owner. My 21x52 is being installed and almost ready to be filled. After being filled and reading all these forums I am so confused on the chemicals. Everyone has an opinion on what chemicals to use, what not to use!

I am definitely in need of the easy way and less work. Its all way to confusing to check all the ups and downs everyday. Any tips please???? and where and what do I put in the pool after I fill it with fresh water.

Welcome to TFP !!

If you want to maintain a clear pool, you just need a proper test kit and to read Pool School. With a little learning, and we are here to help, it really is not that complicated, difficult, or expensive.

What will confuse you is trying to read and learn our methods and also taking to builders or pool stores whose methods often conflict with ours.

No one can tell you what to will need until you post accurate test results.

so after I put fresh water in it and before I add chemicals I should automatically test the water. I did purchase the TF 100 kit today. The BBB system seems the way I will go its easily understood just unsure of how to start of with how much chemical to start off with etc.
Yes!

Fill it up and get the pump running so things are getting mixed. Then test everything but CYA. Tap water will have none, so save the reagent. You'll need to adjust pH one way or the other, probably, and add CYA and of course, bleach, but it's not all that hard. You just plug the readings into PoolMath along with the volume and let it tell you how much to add. A caution: pool manufacturers tend to inflate volume readings, much the way autmakers inflate horsepower, so work up to things. If you didn't add enough of whatever, it's no big deal to add more.

There's a wealth of information in Pool School about what chemicals we recommend and how to add them. To keep it simple, just run all the tests and post the results here in this thread and someone will be along soon enough to guide you orcheck your math. You're starting fresh, and you have the Cadillac of test kits, so there's no reason your pool can't be algae free and sparkling all season long. You can be the envy of all the neighbors. There will be a bit of a learning curve for a week or two, and then it will become a no-brainer. Five minutes a day, plus whatever time it takes to brush and vacuum once a week or so. Invite your friends over to take a dip in your sparkling pool and listen sympathetically as they pour out their tales of woe about their green slime pond and the money they've spent at the pool store.

Ok.
So you will need chlorine
You will need some CYA, also known as stabilizer to stabilize the chlorine
You probably will need some muriatic acid, depending on what the Ph is.
You might or might not need some baking soda, depending on what your TA is.

Use the pool math calculator to determine how much water your pool holds.
At the bottom of the calculator, select if you have Vinyl, gunite or fiberglass,
Select your chlorine source, SWG or bleach. If bleach, select the strength of the bleach.
Then in the left column, enter the results of your test.
In the right column, enter the desired or recommended levels and click the calculate button. Pool math will tell you how much and what to put in the water.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Here are recommended levels for a quick reference. Print this or write it down and put in your test kit.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Read Pool School over and over and over.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/

Whenever you have questions or seek confirmation of your water chemistry, please also post recent test results using your TF100 Test Kit when you ask them. As is reasonable to expect, no one can recommend what or how much to put in the water or what to do if the levels are unknown.

so after I put fresh water in it and before I add chemicals I should automatically test the water. I did purchase the TF 100 kit today. The BBB system seems the way I will go its easily understood just unsure of how to start of with how much chemical to start off with etc.

I wish this forum was like Facebook and had a LIKE button...:) being somewhat of a newbie myself, coming across the great site was very intimidating at first when words like, regents, CYA, FC etc are thrown at you with no explanation. So thanks Divin, LIKE...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.