New pool, think I have problems....

Apr 23, 2014
IL
So heres the deal. Bought a new house last fall and it has an 24' above ground pool, the previous owners closed it before I closed on the house and I have no idea what chemicals they were putting in it to maintain the pool. I've been reading a lot on here over the last few weeks trying to learn what I can. Temps finally in the high 70's here over the weekend so I pulled the winter cover off. First impression was good, pool looked great! Clear water with a few leaves and minor dirt on the bottom, thought I was good to go. Hooked up the pump and let it run for 24 hours . Fast forward to today and I broke out the TF-100 to get a full set of test....that's when things took a turn for the worse.....

FC - 7.5
CC or TC - 8.5
pH - 7.6
TA - 320
CH - 300
CYA - 200+( had to dilute with 50% tap water and still had trouble seeing the black dot all the way to first line on the test tube)

So from what I have read it looks like I'll be draining almost all the water to get that cya number under control. I will say that it is cloudy here today, and I plan to retest it the first chance I get with sun. I don't see how sun light could put me at a reasonable cya level though. I retested in my ridiculously bright kitchen and got the same results.
Where do I go from here?
Is it safe to drain all the water out of my AG pool?
Anything else I can do or try before I dump 12k gals?
Are these test results reasonable? I know no chemicals have gone into the pool since October
I'm pretty confident in my testing,( other than the sun light thing mentioned above) I watched the you tube videos and read instructions prior to attempting.

Welcome to TFP!

I think you made a pretty good assessment. You need to replace a lot of water. You likely should not drain all at once as that can ruin the liner. I would suggest draining 50% twice and then retest.

You want to leave a good 1+ foot of water in the pool. 50% drain/refills will get you where you need to be.

Welcome to TFP!

Ok, so pool math said I needed to replace 85% of the water(assuming 200cya and I want to get it to a cya of 30). The drain went well and the refill should be done later today with tap water. Little unsure what my next step should be and could use some advice.

Should I run the pump when I get it filled back up before I test? Or should I add any chemicals to the water before I test? Also, I'm a not quite sure what chemicals I should add in which order. From my endless reading in here I'm hoping the cya comes out at 30-40range and then I'll check and add chlorine to get it to the required FC of4-5 based on the chart.

fill the pool - and run the full set of test results - then report back ...

I would say that pH would be first ... then chlorine ... CH probably a non issue unless it is high in your fill water ... CYA should be good since you are replacing water to get it down ... last you mess with the TA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Run all your numbers including the CYA. Lets hope the CYA came down to a more manageable number and you can get the pool up and running to enjoy it! Keep asking questions if you have them! We're here to help! :cool:

Here are my numbers after the refill:
FC .5
CC .5
PH 7.9
TA 230
CH 200
CYA 35

Water is cold about 52 degrees, I did warm up the sample I did the cya test with. All others were taken with 52 degree water. As recommended above do I still need to adjust ph and then fc? With the low chlorine, as expect, do I need to slam the pool at this point? Or just add the recommended muratic acid to adjust ph and the raise FC to 4-5?

Last edited:
Water looks ok, slightly greenish tint. Lots of **** from a maple tree falling in it right now so it's kind of hard to tell. Plus it's very overcast here today so maybe it just looks dark from the lack of sun light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.