I know I have some water issues; what next?

I was dealing with a small algae issue this past week (little bits of green were forming on the cove area, between the walls and floor), and I think I am doing OK on that. I am back to clear blue water with no new algae growth in at least four days. I just got a TFP kit yesterday, and took some readings this afternoon. I know I have some issues with TA and PH, but my CYA is also pretty high. The high CYA, I have learned, is because I had been using pucks and dichlor for about 8 weeks. I also added stabilizer at the very beginning of the season, around the beginning of April. I added straight bleach earlier this week to combat the algae, and I haven't added any new pucks or dichlor since last Sunday.

Here are the current conditions:

Free Chlorine: 25 ppm (got it this high to take care of said algae issue)
Total Chlorine: 25 ppm (0 reading on combined chlorine)
pH: 6.8 (waay too low!)
Total Alkalinity: 50 (way too low, too!)
Cyanuric acid (CYA or stabilizer): 80-100 (I must had done 5 tests, becuse this one is so subjective, and it was difficult to tell when the black dot had totally disappeared. I suspect it's closer to 80-90.)

I have a 20K vinyl liner pool, depth is about 4.5 feet deep all the way around, temp is 82F, cartridge filter (75sq ft.).

The biggest thing to note is the water looks just fabulous right now. We also have had some thunderstorms last night and today. I know some of my numbers aren't where they should be and need to fix that. Problem is, I don't know if I should first do a partial drain to lower the CYA or just deal with the PH and TA and just live with the CYA the way it is. Thoughts? And if I do a partial drain on the pool, how much?

Many thanks! I have already learned so much on this forum thanks to you all.

You should get your PH up a little first. Low PH can damage things. Since your TA is low it might be simplest to put in some baking soda. That will increase your TA and also raise the PH a little. It would probably be best to start with perhaps 4 lbs of baking soda and see where that gets you. It is often best to work you way up towards your goal, instead of adding everything at once.

I would let the CYA drift down over the summer. I don't have a problem with numbers below 100 as long as you keep your FC at the appropriate level for your CYA, about 8-10 in this case.

I'm finally there! Just want to give an update as to what has happened. In the last few days, I messed with Baking Soda and later Borax to get my PH and TA within proper range. PH is at 7.3, and TA is at 100. The only real issue is that I still have a high CYA (somewhere between 80-100, according to the 5 tests I have done) but I understand that is not bad as long as I maintain a slightly higher CL level.

But everything is perfect, thanks to you all and this great new TFP kit I got! The weather is starting to get HOT here in the Midwest, so I'll be jumping in soon! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.