Diving board length

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
So I've learned a lot today about diving board placement over the water. After reading the standards for inground pools, and talking to both the diving board manufacturer and pool manufacturer, I'm learning that I need have the edge of my board out 33" from the pool wall, to have the required 6' of water directly under the board. No big deal, except that I bought a 6' diving board with the pool. The thinking was 2' over the water, and 4' on the patio. 33/66%.

But if I need 33" over the water, that's only 39" on the patio, almost 50/50. That might look odd, and also it pushes the mounting jig closer to the pool edge vs more centered in the 4x8' pad that is being poured. So my question is if I should lean towards an 8' board? I'm sure I could get the poil builder to swap it out, as the 6 was his recommendation.

It's difficult to find anything online that provides any rule of thumb for board length.

Thanks!

My recommendation for board length is not in relation to the look (though that is a factor) but the height it allows you to get on the bounce. The longer the board the higher the bounce (though most aren't overly bouncy). The higher the bounce the increasing likelihood of striking bottom on dive entry. Ours is the longer board as it turns out, but in hindsight when my brain starts thinking about pool dangers, I think maybe 6' would have been better.

Thanks. The problem is that, and I've found this out since I posted my question, is that the 6' really won't work on my pool. I need the end of my board to be 33" out from the pool wall, to have the 6' of water to the slope (national standards for inground pools). That 33" requires that the jig for the 6' board to be mounted 12.5" from pool edge. That put's it only 1" beyond the concrete footing/coping stones. The minimum is 3", and even that to me is too tight. The 8' board puts the front bolt of the jig 27" back from the waterline, an extra 15" or so back, and into the diving board concrete footing/pad. So while I agree (and this was why I wanted the 6'), it's not going to work for me. My neighbor has the 8' model (same board) and there isn't much bounce.

So with the 8' board, a little less than 3' will be over the water, with about 5' over the pad. About 35/65.

Have you checked with your insurance company to make sure they will not cancel your insurance due to having a diving board? Premium increase? Just a thought. When we put our pool in our insurance company said they would cancel our insurance if we had a diving board or slide. Food for thought.

Yes. We're with Liberty Mutual. No change in premiums for pool, with or without diving board, or trampoline. They just stated that diving board should be installed according to code and manufacturers instructions.

I did just that. And that's how I learned that the 6' really won't work. The jig would be too close to the edge and I think it would look funny anyway, with an even amount of the board over the water as over the patio. It would look like it's teetering on the edge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.