Less then a year Jandy 2hp e-pump - dead.

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
As the title says. happened on Saturday, Pump tries to start, then dies. I thought maybe something got stuck on the impaler, so took the dry side off - nothing, but the impaler is difficult to turn and makes a screeching noise. My pool tech came up. looked at it. and confirmed what I've thought - bearing gone bad. :mad:
So we've called in Zodiac and they're sending the replacement, thank god its still under warranty.

This concerns me though, the pump is less then 1 year old (we only finished the pool at end of July, last year) and its already dead... maybe I just have a lemon (I hope), but i'm worried that something else may have contributed, but I can't think of what could it be, neither is my pool guy. The only thing that comes up to mind it that the pump does have some head as its sitting about 4 feeet higher then the pool, so naturatlly it would be working harder, but I just can't see that causing the bearing go bad that quickly.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Water getting on the bearings can cause this. The two at all likely ways for water to get on the bearings are a bad shaft seal or a sprinkler system spraying directly on the pump. A bad shaft seal at this point would mean the pump was defective from the start.

Thanks for the feedback Jason. My sprinklers are not not near where the equipment is thought we did have had some heavy rains, but like you said that shouldn't happen anyway with a good seal. I'm planning to build a roof over the equipment pad in the future that should be able to keep everything relatively dry. I just hope this isn't anything systemic with my setup, or inherent with this specific model of the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.