How is your thermometer attached to pool?

I know that sound like a dumb question. Recently I had the pool replastered and when they asked me if I wanted to keep the hook things that one would use to attach a safety rope, I said "no". We would never put up a rope separating the shallow from the deep. But... I did use one of those to attach my thermometer to keep it from floating into the skimmer. I have trees that hang over the pool and I need every bit of skimmer space for the debris. How is your thermometer attached? Is there some other kind I could buy that eliminates the floating aspect?

I've seen them that don't float, but they generally have a string attached to them.

Do you have metal stairs or something else a string could be attached to?
http://www.amazon.com/Swimming-Pool...=1398701597&sr=1-20&keywords=pool+thermometer

Personally I don't like this...but someone might
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-L1-Th...=1398701885&sr=1-27&keywords=pool+thermometer

This was my first thought - temp gun.
http://www.amazon.com/Pixnor®-Displ...=1398701925&sr=1-45&keywords=pool+thermometer

I have a wireless outdoor unit that has a waterproof probe. It is strapped to my hand rail with the probe submersed and on the side of the step. So far the probe hasn't caused any problem, but the outside transmitter (strapped to the rail) got soaked and I found out it is not waterproof (only rain resistant). I'm working on getting a small white plastic box to enclose the transmitter. The nice thing is, I have the indoor unit on the dresser in my bedroom and can see the pool water temp.

Right now, it is 82-83 degrees in the morning and about 87 degrees in the late afternoon. Yesterday was perfect for swimming :).

I'm lazy, I've used a boot shoe string, it's thick and last long, tied one end to the therometer and the other end to the skimmer basket cover through the hole. I can pull up the lid with out sticking my finger into the hole. I've been startled by frogs and such in the skimmer basket. So far no snakes in the skimmer basket. Got a few black racers in the back yard. Hopefully they stay out of the pool.

I have one of these that just bobs freely in the pool... It sends the data to my Oregon Scientific weather station base station inside the house so I can not only see the temp of my pool, but feed the data to my computer and do neat things with it online. Yes, I can see my pool temp anywhere, anytime via my iPhone...and my friends can see if the pool is to their liking before inviting themselves over as well. ;)

thwr800_5_2.jpg

In the winter months the bobber resides in my hot tub...hence why my weather "banner" (a compact version of my weather data) shows my hot tub temp live right now.

WeatherCatBanner.jpg

I like mine in the skimmer lid like posted above, but would never pay that much. I got it for free from a guy doing work on my pool.

Plus I have the pool water and cell temp sensors in my automation.

I just tie mine off to the ladder. I actually broke it a few days ago by stepping on it in the garage. *crunch* :shock: Looks like we need a new thermometer baby! :uhh:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually have two, both ties to a string on one of the support posts. One floats, and the other stays close to the bottom. Both are near the heater return, with the string long enough for me to check heater return temp.

My heater is plumbed separate from the filter system, using a smaller pump, as noted in my sig line.

I have a little statue of a little boy sitting, with a fishing pole, fishing. Thermometer is tied to the end of the fishing pole.

Oh my gosh!!! This is GENUIS! In fact, I'm have a search going to buy the statue myself - and I'm going to steal your idea!!! ;)
I just searched because I wondered how deep should the thermometer be into the pool - another thing that sounds crazy ... but apparently its not so crazy cause there are quite a few of us searching for answers about therometers! :)

Anyway - I wasn't even going to sign up for this forum - but I had to tell you how much I liked your idea so I had to sign up to do that.
Its worth it though - this is a great place for those with pools ... so I am glad I signed up - and you just had to know someone out there thinks you are a genius :) thank you for taking time to share this idea...
Vicki

Oh my gosh!!! This is GENUIS! In fact, I'm have a search going to buy the statue myself - and I'm going to steal your idea!!! ;)
I just searched because I wondered how deep should the thermometer be into the pool - another thing that sounds crazy ... but apparently its not so crazy cause there are quite a few of us searching for answers about therometers! :)

Anyway - I wasn't even going to sign up for this forum - but I had to tell you how much I liked your idea so I had to sign up to do that.
Its worth it though - this is a great place for those with pools ... so I am glad I signed up - and you just had to know someone out there thinks you are a genius :) thank you for taking time to share this idea...
Vicki

Hi Nates MawMaw! I LOVE your user name and the fact you liked this idea so much to sign up to say so! It IS a cute idea!!! :hug: Nice to meet you!

Kim:kim:

Vicki

The depth thing is why I went to a water proof probe I can put down into the water about 2 feet down. In my opinion a thermometer floating on the surface of the pool gives you a warmer reading than it should be. It also reports temps to my home weather station so I can check and log my pool temp from any where on an app on my phone. I just checked and it's only 82, its too cloudy today for the solar to kick in.

The depth thing is why I went to a water proof probe I can put down into the water about 2 feet down. In my opinion a thermometer floating on the surface of the pool gives you a warmer reading than it should be. It also reports temps to my home weather station so I can check and log my pool temp from any where on an app on my phone. I just checked and it's only 82, its too cloudy today for the solar to kick in.

Oh who cares???? The boy and fishing pole is just CUTE!!!! LOL (said with :hug: and smile at Chuck!)

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.