Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

Jul 16, 2012
My winter cover is still on. Ive been losing water over the winter.
I noticed that my pool cover has a lot more water on one side of the cover than the other side. Basically one side of the cover has very little if any water on it. The other side has about 6" of water on top. Is this a sign of a hole in the cover or the pool being out of level ?

Thanks Joe

15ft Round
Aqua Leader Escape Pool

How about a pic Joe? Pics are worth a 1000 words. :goodjob:

A pic would definitely be helpful. It could just be the cover being on uneven, or loose on one end. My appeared the same way somewhat, it was a combination of wind and the weight of the water that kind of pulled it down on one side. Go around the outside of the cover and see if the same amount of material hanging off the side all the way around.

A pic would definitely be helpful. It could just be the cover being on uneven, or loose on one end. My appeared the same way somewhat, it was a combination of wind and the weight of the water that kind of pulled it down on one side. Go around the outside of the cover and see if the same amount of material hanging off the side all the way around.

I can definitely say that the cover is not even around the outside.

Decided that after 12 years A new liner is in the cards. I was going to try and do it myself but decided against it (just not in the mood)
Went to a local pool store on recommendation from neighbor.

This is what I decided on ... http://www.poolsupplies.com/product/liners/universal-style-bead/15-ft-round/52-inch/15-round-above-ground-pool-liner-manor-unibead-52-20-gauge

The store wants to charge me $320 for the 20 gauge. I asked him about the 25g and he said it did not come in 25g.

All in all it's $320 for the 20g liner, $280 for install and $100 for wall foam for a total of $700. If I get the liner myself the install would be $380. I also asked him about a flood pad and foam cove. He said that he doesn't recommend the floor pad because of termites , etc eating it (sounded fishy to me). He also doesn't recommend the foam cove. He uses sand for floor and cove.

So my question is, do I get the 25 gauge on my own and have him install it or just get . I'm guessing that he won't guarantee the liner since I did no buy it from him (I have to call him today)

I read somewhere that 25g in NJ is not recommended because of the cold winters.

I would opt out of the foam wall, it makes the liner easier to puncture.... Think of a piece of paper on a hard wood table, try and poke a pen through the paper, it doesn't go through, now take that same piece of paper, and put a piece of thin foam between the table and the paper... Now try to poke the pen through it... It will penetrate it much easier.... Just my 2cents.... :)

I would opt out of the foam wall, it makes the liner easier to puncture.... Think of a piece of paper on a hard wood table, try and poke a pen through the paper, it doesn't go through, now take that same piece of paper, and put a piece of thin foam between the table and the paper... Now try to poke the pen through it... It will penetrate it much easier.... Just my 2cents.... :)

That makes sense. What about the argument of it protecting the liner from the walls themselves (metal walls and all) ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There should not be anything on the wall that would puncture the liner except at the point where the wall is connected with bolts. At that connection point, instructions indicate one should cover the bolts with two strips of duct tape. I can hardly feel the bolts through the liner. If I were you, I would forgo the wall foam and purchase a 25 mil liner. There is a noticeable difference in the weight of a 20 v. 25 mil liner and they are available online. If you live in a moderately large town, you can call other above ground pool/spa stores and see if they will give you the name of their installer(s). I have had very good luck going this route.

Location and mil/gauge on liner does not matter! Always go with the higher quality. Foam, cove and bottom is all personal choice/preference. It's certainly not needed. I chose the bottom and cove because I have fill dirt and glass in my yard and the cove is super simple!

Watch YouTube videos and DIY! Save the money, it's not hard! Get some friends n beer if you want!

Location and mil/gauge on liner does not matter! Always go with the higher quality. Foam, cove and bottom is all personal choice/preference. It's certainly not needed. I chose the bottom and cove because I have fill dirt and glass in my yard and the cove is super simple!

Watch YouTube videos and DIY! Save the money, it's not hard! Get some friends n beer if you want!

That being said, is this a "quality" liner ? http://www.poolsupplies.com/product...e-ground-pool-liner-manor-unibead-52-20-gauge

There should not be anything on the wall that would puncture the liner except at the point where the wall is connected with bolts. At that connection point, instructions indicate one should cover the bolts with two strips of duct tape. I can hardly feel the bolts through the liner. If I were you, I would forgo the wall foam and purchase a 25 mil liner. There is a noticeable difference in the weight of a 20 v. 25 mil liner and they are available online. If you live in a moderately large town, you can call other above ground pool/spa stores and see if they will give you the name of their installer(s). I have had very good luck going this route.

Just spoke to installer... Said there's a chance that the new liner could rip during the install if there are any sharp pieces on wall. Also said there's a slight chance that it could also puncture the liner from inside the pool after it is filled if I use the foam wall. He said we can see what it looks like at the time of install. So I guess that's fair. I called another installer and he didn't mention anything about the foam.

Do you have rough spots on the inside of your pool wall? If so, you can sand the walls down lightly to *knock off* anything that could puncture the liner or tear it. Wall foam is not needed. I've played with it before and never had a problem with holes in the wall and I had a diving dog using my pool every time we did and she swam close to the walls without puncturing through the liner/foam. If you don't know what the walls look like because you still have a liner in place, you are worrying needlessly over something that isn't worth worrying about.

As far as the liner that is highlighted in the link you provided, you will be better off choosing the 25mil/gauge instead of the 20 mil/gauge. It is the better liner and it does NOT matter if you live in California, Colorado, Iowa, Jersey or Pennsylvania. It is the better choice. But in the end, it's your choice.

Decided that after 12 years A new liner is in the cards. I was going to try and do it myself but decided against it (just not in the mood)
Went to a local pool store on recommendation from neighbor.

This is what I decided on ... http://www.poolsupplies.com/product/liners/universal-style-bead/15-ft-round/52-inch/15-round-above-ground-pool-liner-manor-unibead-52-20-gauge

The store wants to charge me $320 for the 20 gauge. I asked him about the 25g and he said it did not come in 25g.

All in all it's $320 for the 20g liner, $280 for install and $100 for wall foam for a total of $700. If I get the liner myself the install would be $380. I also asked him about a flood pad and foam cove. He said that he doesn't recommend the floor pad because of termites , etc eating it (sounded fishy to me). He also doesn't recommend the foam cove. He uses sand for floor and cove.

So my question is, do I get the 25 gauge on my own and have him install it or just get . I'm guessing that he won't guarantee the liner since I did no buy it from him (I have to call him today)

I read somewhere that 25g in NJ is not recommended because of the cold winters.

I just bought a unibead liner from The Pool Factory in January.. 25g for $229 and no shipping..overlaps weren't even more than $150 or so...I have a 15round also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.