Pool Fence Pictures need ideas

Jun 18, 2008
Ontario Canada
I would love to see some pictures of your fences around your pools. I am trying to get some ideas. We are having our fiberglass pool installed this Oct and we are going to do the fence ourselves to save money. We are hoping to do a wood/chainlink OR wood/iron fence combo. The majority of the fence will be wood, with an angled chainlink or iron area of about 15-20ft, this area will also contain the gate and make the pool visable to our house. But the wood part of the fence will give us privacy from the neighbours, street and hopefully block some of the wind. We also hope to build our pool shed, that will house the equipment, into the back corner of the fence.

So any ideas and pictures, or opinions would be greatly appreciated :-D Oh I would also love to see pics of your pool equipment sheds. Thanks so much!

Kim

Here is a rough draft of what we are thinking of, the round thing is our current propane tank on our existing onground pool heater (can't be moved) we have cedars around it to hide it. Outside the fence area is our existing deck which is attached to our house.

So far it is almost square at 43 ft X 43 ft but the probably will change. Pool is 12ft X 32ft.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,838
JohnT said:
Chain link won't meet code or insurance requirements since it's climb-able unless you put the privacy strips in it.

JohnT- I will have to look into this further. But I am positive it is ok to use chain link in Ontario Canada since I see tons of pools around with them here and no privacy strips. Also our PB installs it as a fencing option. Thanks for the help though.
Kim

For pool building regulations in Sudbury - Canada, I just went to the City website and found the bylaw regarding pools and fencing requirements. Chain link is ok to use in Sudbury but it has to be a certain size. Even the wood fence has to be built a certain way.

We had a pool dilemma last year also. We had an existing vegetable garden that was fenced in a picket type fence. I definitely did not want to get rid of the vegetable garden, one of the reasons for the pool was to have something cool to jump in after a hard days work. For insurance and building code we had to have a safety fence around the perimeter of the pool. We thought about just using the same picket, but decided it would be just too much cream in the yard. We went ahead and just connected the broze aluminum with the picket and it actually didn't turn our too bad. We planted quite a few evergreens for privacy as we live on a corner lot. We had the fence place in the back of the shade garden, DH's idea. I want to go along the pool, so glad we went with his idea. I also have pics of our euipment area posted.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/ ... er2107.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/ ... er2138.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/ ... 2136-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/ ... er2128.jpg

love2weed-Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. You certainly live up to your screen name. Your flowers are beautiful. Your pool and yard look just great. Your pool looks so refreshing.
Since only a small portion of our fence will not be wood, I think we are going to try and splurge on the aluminum or rod iron fence instead of chainlink. Your fence looks so nice. Everything ties together very well.
Kim

I built a wooden fence about 8 years ago. It was a lot of work but I'm glad I did it. I live on a corner and don't want people staring at me, my wife or my visiting friends. It's not polite and certainly uncomfortable for the people visiting. The fence is tall since I kept the top of the fence level instead of stepping down with the grade. I had to buy extra long fenceboards but the look is uniform and looks much better. If you are staying at the house, and I'd imagine you are, don't skimp on the fence. I had no woodworking or construction skills when I started so anyone can do it. Buy some good tools, read a few books and your off. It's wood not plutonium so mistakes are easily learned and reasonably affordable.

My personal opinion is that chain link fences look cheap, but that's me and my opinion. My neighbor loves his. I value my privacy over anything else.

FWIW, I also built the shed in the photo.

yard.jpg

pool1.jpg

I hope this helps. Oh, I'm from Ontario too :goodjob:

Joe

Thanks Joe! Your fence and shed looks great! We were talking about doing a scalloped (not sure if that is the right term) top to the wood part of our fence too. I think we decided against chainlink, as we don't think it will look right with the wood, so we will probably do aluminum for the part that faces our house and deck. Did you do your shed design yourself? My hubby is thinking something similiar...siding, door, window, flower box. It is very nice. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Oh and your pool is gorgeous too...don't you wish we had a longer swimming season?

I'm getting some great ideas. :goodjob: Thanks everyone!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am from Ontario also, I am not sure if it is a provincial building code or city code, but our wood perimeter fence had to be under 1.85 meters in height and over 1.5 meters to pass inspection.

I did one half of our wood fencing in 3 days with a carpenter friend. I paid him a few bucks and bought all the screws woods cement etc. Came in around 2600 bucks or so. When I had the pool installed the landscapers completed the other half of the wood fencing. One year later and the cost was 2900 bucks. It was 3 days of hard work with my bud. I would not do it myself next time. 300 bucks in savings is not worth the time and effort we spent working on it to be honest.

The iron fencing that separates the yard side and pool side was just about 3/4 the length of the wood fencing and almost a grand on top of the wood fence cost.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

We had ordered 6' dog ear privacy fence 1/2 way down the side of the pool that can be seen from the road . The fence guy messed up and used it for another job but , gave us a deal on the privacy fence with lattice on top . We really liked that a lot better so we got it half way around the pool and are quite happy we did . Here is what we ultimately ended up with .

P1010033-2.jpg

Here you can see what fence we have around the rest of the pool area . This isn't what we ordered either but , what we ended up with . It has grown on me . All of the fence is constructed from western red cedar .

P1010027.jpg

Hey, Tikifarmer. Nice fence...awesome bannana plant! I'm begging you man, tell me your secret! :eek: Also, what are those yellow-flowered things planted behind the bananna in the first photo? I gotta get me some of those!

fponzani , thanks for the compliment ...
The yellow flowers are asiatic lillies I got on the bargain rack at Lowes . They seem to multiply a good bit with a nice scent as well .

P1010036-1.jpg

The bananas in the first picture are musa basjoo that were overwintered in the ground . That picture was taken about 3 weeks or so ago and they are now around the top of the fence and much fuller . The bananas in the second pic were taken around the end of August last year . I think they are musa orinoco although I am still not quite sure . I dug that clump out in the fall and stored it bareroot in the basement last winter and planted it out in May . They are now about 3/4 that size but , growing daily . The secret is water,water,water and fertilizer . The clump you see below was one 5' trunk when I planted it in July last year . They were only fertilized with Osmocote once last year with applications of miracle grow every couple weeks and the growth was pretty amazing . If you want to grow bananas you might want to take a look at http://www.bananas.org , a lot of good info .

If you want a tropical vibe to your pool area there is no better plant than the banana IMHO .

Bareroot banana storage .

P1010012-1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.