Green Pool

fannd

Sep 19, 2013
i need some advice quickly, i have a very green pool after uncovering last week and not being able due to weather to get it up and running at that time. so today it is a big green mess and getting worse by the day.
we have storms for the next 2 days coming so i can not hook up the filter and pump until after that. my concern is, if i go ahead and get it hooked up and filled back up and running and get my bleach in it, how bad is it going to be for the sand filter system? also, should i replace my sand this year in the filter, got the pool in July of 2012, so it has only been 1 1/2 seasons.

Hook up the filter, top off the pool and SLAM away according to Pool School.

What kind of test kit do you have?

Also, it would be helpful if you could add your location to your profile. ;)

what jblizzle said above.

Last year before I learned about this site I too had a green pool and was trying to clear it up for Mothers Day. I hired a pool company to perform their Green to Clean service for $125.00. The pool service came out, walked around my pool sprinkling "magic dust" in it and left promising to return in a few days. They did this three times before it finally cleared. Took about 2 weeks. I thought it was money well spent but to my surprise within a couple of months I (well another pool service that I was paying for) was fighting either a green or cloudy pool off and on until the police department came to my house and forced me to either drain my pool or clear it up within 3 days.

The point I am trying to make here is if I would have found this site like you did when I first had the problem, bought a TF Testkit and read pool school I could have cleared the pool myself and saved myself a lot of money and spared myself a great deal of frustration.

It is not necessary, but makes the testing faster and easier by stirring the water for you so you do not have to swirl with one hand and put in drops with the other. This helps a lot with the CH test or it you are having to SLAM and put in 40+ drops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hook up the filter, top off the pool and SLAM away according to Pool School.

What kind of test kit do you have?

I have my pool topped off and pump running, put in 2 gallons of bleach last night and ran pump for a couple hours, did not want to run it all day today with me being at work and could not back wash as needed.
Have ordered a test kit TF-100, which should be here next week. Question of the day is, how do you test really green water? It is like a swamp, can barely see the bottom of pool. Should I keep running pump and backwashing as needed and keep adding a gallon of bleach each day? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

You should be fine running your pool while you are away.

I've never tested really swampy water but I don't anticipate you having an issue with testing. Just read the very simple directions that come with the kit and if you have problems, post them here and we'll get you sorted! :)

You should be fine running your pool while you are away.

I've never tested really swampy water but I don't anticipate you having an issue with testing. Just read the very simple directions that come with the kit and if you have problems, post them here and we'll get you sorted! :)

Ok, recd my Taylor k2006 kit, here are my numbers.

Total chlorine .8
FC. 2.0
PH. 7.9
Alkalinity 100
Calcium hardness 110
CYA. 70

How does this sound and what do I need to add.?

Step 1, order more FAS-DPD reagents since you did not follow our advice and get the TF-100 with xl option. You will quickly run out before the pool clear.

Total chlorine can not be greater than free chlorine, so check that.

Your CYA is marginally too high. You need to SLAM the pool which would be a little easier if your replaced water to lower the CYA first, but not required.

Did you make a mistake and want FC to mean TC? it would make a lot more sense. That means you have 1 CC in the pool. Are you using 10 mil line to test? I'm not sure as I've never used the K2006 Kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.