Owner built gunite startup chemicals???

Jul 31, 2009
Gonzales, La
Currently building a 15x30 gunite pool. 3.5 to 6" deep salt water pool. Diamond Brite finish. Since I am doing a owner build I will not have a builder support on startup of the pool. Can someone please tell me what chemicals I will need upon startup of my pool? I have had a pool years ago so have some knowledge of pool chemistry. I'm sure many things have changed since my last pool though.

Thanks,
Todd

That depends on your fill water. The only things you need for sure are CYA and chlorine. But chances are you will need other things, depending on you fill water numbers and startup style.

Jason,
Here's a link to my water well thread I asked about sometime last year. This pool has been in the making for several years now. Those were the sample results we got from the sample back then. I can have them all ran again. I was also considering going to a water softner as well if $$$ permit.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/58009-Well-Water

Todd

Conductivity 271
PH 7.8
Fe 0.09ppm
Ca 30
Hardness 50ppm
Alk 120ppm

Those numbers look fairly good. Based on that you will need some calcium, but not in the first week.

The next big question is what kind of startup you want to do. A bicarb startup is the best, but it is more work than an acid start (which is the main alternative). For a bicarb startup you need quite a bit of baking soda. For an acid startup you need quite a bit of acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just had pool finish redone with colorscapes which i believe is the same as diamond brite. finish is dark grey (cornerstone). my startup guy went with acid startup and 4 days later pool finish looks very good.

Ok is a acid startup and acid wash of the plaster the same thing?? I do have acid wash included in my plaster(diamond brite) install price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.