pool pole

BobF

Jun 8, 2008
Savannah, GA
I have one of those standard pool poles that the builder supplied when my pool was installed about 3 years ago. Its failing. The plastic screw collet that holds the pole extended has cracked and is fast approaching the point where the pole will no longer lock in the extended position. I am going to have to buy a new pole to replace it. My question is: Is there a pole with a decent locking mechanism that might last. I could see one made of aluminum instead of plastic lasting much longer.
Any suggestions as to brand or source?

Thanks

There are two types of locking mechanisms used in poles. One is the friction fit that you tighten down. The other uses a cam assembly that locks and unlocks with a twist. The friction ones are easier to repair if you can get the parts (usually only on expensive 'professional' poles. I personally find the friction ones to be more dependable in the long run. There are also non extendable poles made of fiberglass that screw together like a billiards cue. They are expensive but they are very light weight and last almost forever!

Evan, can you maybe give us some pointers to where these poles can be purchased?

I have two: a blue fluted one and chromed smooth one. Both tighten with a plastic sleeve sort of thing that you twist. The silver one is useless. It never did stay in the position I tightened it at. The fluted one holds much better.

I'm interested in the fiberglass pole you mention. Where can a pool owner get one?

AnnaK said:
Evan, can you maybe give us some pointers to where these poles can be purchased?

I have two: a blue fluted one and chromed smooth one. Both tighten with a plastic sleeve sort of thing that you twist. The silver one is useless. It never did stay in the position I tightened it at. The fluted one holds much better.

I'm interested in the fiberglass pole you mention. Where can a pool owner get one?
Just about any decent pool supply should be able to order you one, especially if they also service commercial accounts. Be prepared to pay a minimUm of $50 to well over $100 for a professional quality pool pole. However, once you see the difference in quality you won't regret spending the money! (Sort of like getting a good test kit for the first time! :wink: )
I have also seen some online but not at the usual online pool stores. Try searching for fiberglass pool pole and professional pool pole.

Now are we ready to talk about professional quality vacuum heads? :shock: :wink:

I just can't see hpw a professional pole is going to make my pool maintenance sny easier. While brushing my pool I've never thought "If only I had a better pole!" I guess that's just me - if it seems worth it to others to spend that kind of money on a pole that's cool. I, too would like to hear the difference in the high dollar pool vacs vs lower priced ones.

AnnaK said:

I have the blue fluted one like you describe. The plastic collet that you tighten to lock the position has cracked at the end and now spreads as you tighten it. It will soon fail and no longer work. Mine is 2 8' sections. I can use one section in the shallow end, but will have to have a new one for the deep end.

I have been using a 4" stainless steel algea brush for the little spots of algea that have formed on the plaster wall. Maybe I need a better solution to the algae, and not just a new pole. There are not very many, but I have not had much luck removing them either. They are about 1/8" to 1/4" diameter and seem to have found the little irregularities in the plaster of the pool wall and floor. Color is dark green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AnnaK said:
YES!

Please tell us about professional quality vacuum heads for an above ground pool. I'm still choking on "well over $100" for a pole but heck, a woman can dream, no?
Ben at PF used to sell the weighted Rainbow Lifeguard (Pentair) 14" vacuum head. People raved about it once they tried it. The wider path, swivel head, and weights makes vacuuming much less of a chore. There are bigger heads and even double heads but most home pool pumps won't handle them so the 14" is about the biggest you can go. They do have smaller ones than 14" but the professional heads will have the wieghts, swivel handle, and adjustable wheels. If you are careful they are suitable for use in vinyl pools because the wheels are ball bearing. Expect to pay around $80 for a professional quality vacuum head.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.