Algaecide during Stain Removal

HOF

Apr 25, 2013
Hello all,
This is my 3rd season as a pool owner, and all has been well since finding this site and learning the basics. So thanks for that! This year I want to address my iron stains that I have just lived with in the past. After opening 2 weeks ago, I got the pool cleaned up real good and began the SLAM. After 10 days of holding chlorine between 16-18 (CYA is 40), the water was clear and I passed the overnight test. Maintained chlorine at 16-18 for 2 more days to be sure, and passed overnight test those 2 days as well. Knowing I had no algae issues, I began letting the chlorine level drop. I am planning on adjusting PH/ALK as needed, then adding my Algaecide (ProTeam Polyquat 60) once my chlorine hits 4. I've never added an Algaecide before, and need to know how much to add for proper prevention while chlorine is gone during AA. The bottle of Polyquat gives recommended doses for "freshly filled pools" and a "weekly maintenance" dose every 5-7 days. I was planning on adding the "freshly filled pools" dose, but want to make sure that it is not too much for what I'm doing. I'm thinking my chlorine will be zero for maybe 3-5 days while the AA and bleach fight each other off after the treatment. Any recommendations for amount of Algaecide, and dosage frequency while zero chlorine? Thanks in advance for any help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.