SWG Conversion

Neal

Jul 11, 2012
SW Michigan
I am 99% sure that I am going to convert to salt water this year. I have researched on TFP and SWG internet searches, so I believe that I understand the pros and cons. The biggest reason for converting, after 12 years of using tri-chlor tablets, is ease of maintenance. We are sometimes away from the pool for 7-10 days and I always worry about spikes up and down in the chlorine levels due to weather, etc. Obviously, I struggle with high CYA levels due to the tri-chlor. I am planning to buy the Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital RC42 and install it myself. The reviews on the Pool Pilot appear to be very good, although I understand that any brand has maintenance and may have problems. So now to my question: As I zero in on this project, any comments, tips, thoughts, helping hints, etc. on the conversion. I have already read the Pool Pilot installation manual on line, but for those of you that have gone through this process you may have some additional thoughts or comments that are not covered in what I have researched.

Thanks,
Neal

Mostly just wanted to say welcome to TFP.

Some materials like certain stone do not hold up well to salt exposure. Flagstone often does not do well depending upon it's type. convenience is a great reason to change to salt however, and many people love their salt chlorine pools.

Love my pool pilot nano +. I installed myself last summer. Not to bad- screw the control unit to something solid, wire it up to your pump timer, put the unit inline with your plumbing.

For your home depot list:
-Wire
-Plastic conduit and fittings to run the wire in
-PVC primer and glue
-I recommend the ratcheting PVC shears- they are great for cutting pipe and you don't get PVC dust all in your plumbing.

I got mine from salt pool guys (see post above me)

But, if you're pvc is old, it may be brittle and shatter unevenly. I got mine at Lowe's. Like he said, no dust. But one of my pipes was old and I had to use my hack saw after all. You might Consider doing a practice cut first.

Yes, I would like to have the SWG control the pump. Currently, my pump run 24x7, which I think is overkill, but it is the way the builder set it up. My pump is a single speed. Do I need the relay board in the pool pilot to have it control the pump? What about the propane heater?

Neal

- - - Updated - - -

All of my equipment is inside a pool house, so no sun or weather deterioration. But, thanks for the tip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.