Results: Lamotte ColorQ vs. Lamotte Waterlink Spin

So I just received my Lamotte ColorQ 7 and did the testing following the directions exactly.

I went to the pool store to buy some 12.5% Cl-, as per pool math (well CYA chart really) I am trying to target a 8ppm FC level (based on my CYA level of 70)

Here are my results and here are the pool store results.

ColorQ 7
FCL- 5.67
TCL-5.89
pH-7.5
TA-100
CH-176
CYA-70 (measured 3 times got to 70's and 1 68) Temperature at 70F

Lamotte Waterlink Spin (from pool store)
FCL- 5.5
TCL-5.5
pH-7.7
TA-108 with TOTAL ADJUSTED Alkalinity @ 82??
CH-196
CYA-86 Temp 70F
TDS = 1375
Copper=0.2 (from pool service now released)

So I have read the color Q's major problem is with reading CYA, now should I shoot for a higher ppm on the Cl and trust the pool? I think I am, I also wanted to post this for comparison purposes.

I do have one qustion though, they have an adjusted total alkalinity level as 82 and recommended I add 18 lbs of NaCO3 due to my plaster pool. I would like your thoughts on that please...Ofcourse, I would have to buy acid too to compensate.

On another note, when the pool guy seemed aware of the CYA tablet issue, though he still tried to push me that way stating I would constantly need acid and the liq. chlorine adds to much salt.

TIA

Just completely ignore adjusted total alkalinity. That is only used for calculating LSI, which you don't need to do. There is no reason to raise TA.

You should increase your CH level to at least 250, and probably to more like 300, since you have a plaster pool. Raising CH levels has nothing to do with acid or TA or ATA. NaCO3? NaCO3 won't really help anything.

Your CYA level is a bit high, and FC is either near the low end of the normal range for that CYA level. or noticeably too low depending on which results you believe.

Sorry, I missed the H in NaHC03, to raise the alkalinity.

Yes, my CYA is high, thus Im doing the liquid chlorine per the recommendation here. Well, if your recommendation is raising the CH, perhaps I can shock a few times with Ca based shock.

I think Ill add half the gallon of 12.5% chlorine I bought and check the FCL in a few hours, if its between 8-9 I will leave it be. My pool is not quite at the crystal clear look I know it can achieve so Ill keep tinkering with it.

I think Ill hold off on the TA increaser. Ill post back.

Why would you shock unless your water has something growing in it? Many of us here go years between needing to shock, and only do it when there is cause like major storm debris in pools, multiday equipment failure, etc.

In the event I have algae grow in the pool again.
Have you tried an overnight loss test? Can you read the Combined Chlorine Levels? A one-time blast of chlorine - a pool-store shock - probably won't clear the water completely. We use an extended period of high chlorine levels called a SLAM to clear the water and ensure it's going to stay that way.

Have you tried an overnight loss test? Can you read the Combined Chlorine Levels? A one-time blast of chlorine - a pool-store shock - probably won't clear the water completely. We use an extended period of high chlorine levels called a SLAM to clear the water and ensure it's going to stay that way.
I don't have algae now. I was asked why I would add add it.
I can record free chlorine and total chlorine so I am assuming I can get combined chlorine by subtracting total from free? If so its about .2

Yes the 10ppm limitation. Diluting could help, but still way to know if it is working correctly.

The kit we recommend requires watching for color changes, not absolute color. Pink to clear, green to pink, pink to blue. So might be fine for color blind. We have a few members bring up the same point, but not sure we have heard back from them with a report.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are a number of different kinds of color blindness. Some have no problem with any of the tests, some have trouble only with the PH test, some can't do any of the color based tests (PH, TA, CH), but can do the FAS-DPD color/no color test.

I've seen mobile phone apps that do live correction of colors utilizing the phone's camera for those with color blindness.

Well I ordered the TFT-100 kit. Im very eager to compare the two. After looking at the videos I think I can do it, or at the very least have it to confirm any suspected outliers. I also ordered the standardized CYA-50 solution to see the accuracy of the ColorQ test. Its like im in A Chem again...:D

My pool service has been released. I dont know what the heck they did, but my FC reading was very high yesterday. Im thinking they came and without taking any readings dumped lots of chlorine in the pool. I was measuring 16ppm FCL using the dilution method yesterday. I was measuring 12 today as I left the pool uncovered today to bring down the FCL I'm upset I was too lazy to take charge of the pool from the start.:mad:

So the TFT-100 arrives tomorrow and since then I have ordered another ColorQ to compare the readings both give.

Since I have taken over my pool I have started logging all my readings in a spreadsheet, however, somehow my 1 year old managed to delete the Excel file in about 6 seconds while I was taking another water sample. I even lost the autorecover file somehow. Well, I started a new log and here is the results from the two machines. They were each blanked with the same sample and tested in the same cuvette. Also, it was my day off today and I did the borate addition with borax and HCl. My initial impression is it is strange how it does make the water look "better" in every way. The algaestatic properties were the reason I added in the first place. I will test with the Lamotte borate strips I am also receiving from TF Kits.

Readings this AM, approx 9am
ColorQ 1
T/F FCL TCL pH Alk CH
73 6.05 6.32 7.5 94 164

ColorQ 2
T/F FCL TCL pH Alk CH
73 6.02 6.18 7.5 104 156

Readings at 745pm
ColorQ1
74 9.72 HI 7.6 91 127

ColorQ2
74 9.41 HI 7.6 82 133

Some notes. I added half the borax and acid last night and half this afternoon.

I raised the Chlorine with calcium hypochlorite, I believe my CYA is between 70-90. My readings are all over the place and those are average readings from myself and 2 pool stores.

I will keep comparing the 2 ColorQ's, along with the TFT-100 and the pool store readings.

Here are my results for the past 2 days:
T/F = Temperature in Fahrenheit
Sorry for formatting issues

5/6/2014 7:00pm
ColorQ 1
T/F FCL TCL PH ALK CH CYA
74 8.89 9.19 7.5 84 124 NP

ColorQ 2
74 8.76 8.94 7.5 88 130 NP

TFT-100
T/F----FCL---TCL---PH----ALK--------CH---CYA
74----11----11----7.5--- 120/130----210----NP

LaMotte Borate Test Strip = 50ppm :p

5/7/2014 - 6:30pm

ColorQ 1
73 9.3 9.12 7.5 94 -- 71

ColorQ 2
73 8.56 8.84 7.5 104 -- 72

TFT-100
73 11 11 7.5 120 -- ~63-68

------------------------------------------------------

Notes:
The pool has been covered for most of the past 2 days. That might explain the low loss of Cl.

Well, the data is what the data is. I wish the ColorQ was closer to the TFT-100's reading of 11ppm on the free chlorine. On that number of 11ppm, it is without question 11ppm, I performed it twice today, with the speedstir, and there is no ambiguity in that test. The ALK, CYA and CH all could be +/- but not the FCL. Unfortunately for me, it is quite off.

I will contact Lamotte on Friday and see if they have any suggestions.

I have only been using the reagents from one of the ColorQ's, but after the results on the 6th, I thought perhaps those reagents are not fresh perhaps and that is the reason for the difference in readings. Upon using the reagents from the other ColorQ (ColorQ 1), I yielded similar results.

I have a scientific background and I am quite familiar and comfortable with chemistry, chemicals and quantitative analysis. At the moment, I believe the photometer and the QA behind its construction are not where it should be to be of use. I will still call Lamotte for suggestions as I would really love for it to yield accurate readings.

I will also get a reading from the pool store this weekend.

5/11/14

Results - Temp/F - FCL - TCL - PH - ALK - CH - CYA
Color Q1 - - 78 - 6.56 - 6.7 - 7.6 - 91 - 176 - 72

Color Q2 - - 78 - 6.44 - 6.64 - 7.6 - 101 - 178 - 73

TFT-100 - - 78 - 7.5 - 7.5 - 7.5 - 120 - (225-250) - 68

Waterlink - 77 - 6.3 - 6.3 - 7.8 - 117 - 161 - 83

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discuss...:salut:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.