CH will not raise

Oct 29, 2013
I have a CH reading of 110 and the pool math called for 40lbs of calcium chloride. I added half of a 50lb bag and tested again and got the same reading. Two days later i added almost the entire remaining amount for a total of 45lbs and I still get the same CH reading...I used http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPPHYI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Can anyone tell me what went wrong...if this was the wrong item will it hurt my pool?

It appears you just added some expensive salt. Many people add salt to improve the feel of the water, so no harm done.

You added Sodium Chloride when what you wanted was Calcium Chloride. Where did you get the CH reading from, by the way? I find it hard to believe you suffer from low CH in California.

The product pictured at the destination of the link is labeled halite, which is sodium chloride. The sodium chloride won't cause any problems, though there are sometimes impurities, usually stuff that doesn't dissolve and needs to be vacuumed up.

You want calcium chloride.

i took the readings from my tfp test kit...so it looks like some ice melters are calcium chloride and some are just sodium chloride...i guess i got the wrong one, no wonder it was half the price of the other brands..i guess i will have soft silky water from the salt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.