Help! how to fix leak in old rusted light housing

Sep 19, 2012
We knew there was at least one leak coming from the drain return pipe but when we got it dug up we could see that there was a leak coming from the light (last year the glass and frame came loose and just fell off--see photo 2). The metal housing for the light had rusted through in a couple of places (see yellow circles in photo 1).

It’s very difficult working on this because the pool is like a bowl with a small ledge around it but it appears that some of the areas where the light screwed into are compromised and I don’t think we’d be able to put the glass and frame back in (also, I’m afraid the same thing might happen--it would just fall off again eventually).

We don't want a working light, we want to stop the leak.

Can we use pool epoxy putty on the holes and then coat the metal with something? There’s still a lot of moisture/water coming up through those holes because the ground is so wet. Or maybe cover it with some type of plate? Any suggestions would be really appreciated! We really want to be able to do this ourselves because of the cost factor in hiring a pool company.

Some history on the pool: It’s 50 years old with a concrete bottom and gunnite/metal(?) sides that were coated with fiberglass about 25 years ago. The pool light hasn’t worked for about 25 years. There was some updating done to the pool about 5 years ago and the man working on it wasn’t able to fix the light but put it back in place.

Thanks!
Devon

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 25
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 25
You can try to patch the holes with the epoxy putty but I don't know if the patches will hold for very long. You may want to see if you can find a round stainless steel plate you can screw into place to seal the light fixture. You would need a gasket between the plate and the fixture, and longer stainless steel screws to hold it in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.