new pump questions

superjet

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2010
Kansas
First - thanks for all the great info on the site. The advice is usually very straightforward and the site is so easy to use. It has saved me hundreds of dollars.

I'm looking for advice on a new pump/motor.

I have a 26k vinyl inground pool, Goldline SWG, heater, sand filter, skimmer, drain, 3 returns.

I'm still on my original pump/motor -- a Triton Ultra Flow pump with Centurion/Magnatek 1 hp/1.25 SF motor. I've had to replace the seal twice in the last 4 years and it is starting to leak again. I'd like to switch to variable or two speed. I value lowest noise and energy efficiency. My equipment sits underneath my deck and I'm tired of the turbulence and pump noise.

I'm looking at a Pentair Intelliflo or a Superflo. Our electric rates are around $.12 when you consider all the extra charges (property tax, surcharges, etc) they throw on the bill that are kwh-based. I'd like to install it myself.

1 - What's your advice on a pump?
2 - What install issues do I need to look for?
3 - What does it take to install it in place of my old pump?

(PS....I use a kreepy krauly cleaner and it needs to be replaced also (8 years old). I will get the a Pool Cleaner or the new kreepy krauly. Any advice is appreciated.)

Welcome to TFP!

Given your electric rates, and assuming you can get the pool cleaner to work with low speed, you will get the best finical return from a two speed pump, perhaps a 1 HP 2 speed SuperFlo. The IntelliFlo is unlikely to every pay for it's additional up front costs. The SuperFlo VS is in-between, it will probably pay for it's self eventually, but not nearly as quickly as a two speed pump will. The SuperFlo VS has the advantage that it is sure to work with the pool cleaner and can easily be setup to run fast enough for the cleaner and then slow down for the rest of the circulation time.

Any of these will be much quieter than what you have now (unless you run them on high speed).

Replacing a pump involves some very simple electrical work (disconnect the wires from the old pump and then connect to the new pump), and some mildly complex PVC plumbing. This is something a DIY type shouldn't have any problems with, but can be intimidating to people without much DIY experience.

Welcome to TFP!

Given your electric rates, and assuming you can get the pool cleaner to work with low speed, you will get the best finical return from a two speed pump, perhaps a 1 HP 2 speed SuperFlo. The IntelliFlo is unlikely to every pay for it's additional up front costs. The SuperFlo VS is in-between, it will probably pay for it's self eventually, but not nearly as quickly as a two speed pump will. The SuperFlo VS has the advantage that it is sure to work with the pool cleaner and can easily be setup to run fast enough for the cleaner and then slow down for the rest of the circulation time.

Any of these will be much quieter than what you have now (unless you run them on high speed).

Replacing a pump involves some very simple electrical work (disconnect the wires from the old pump and then connect to the new pump), and some mildly complex PVC plumbing. This is something a DIY type shouldn't have any problems with, but can be intimidating to people without much DIY experience.

Thanks. Just to be clear, what price point are you considering the Intelliflo and Superflo and Superflo VS? The Intelliflo's I've seen can be purchased for around $850 and the Superflo 2 spd for about $490. Does that correspond with your assumptions? I'm a newb on this stuff.

I love it. It has lasted a long time already and does a good job. My only complain is that the debris bag is a little more work to clean out than others report for different brands, but that hasn't been a significant problem.

I love it. It has lasted a long time already and does a good job. My only complain is that the debris bag is a little more work to clean out than others report for different brands, but that hasn't been a significant problem.

Is that the one with dual motors? If so, does that make a big difference? Their models are confusing to me.....

The Dolphin Dynamic has a remote control and the left and right treads can be controlled independently for steering. This is an older unit, they don't make it anymore and it doesn't exactly correspond to anything in their current product line, though the top of the line models are the most similar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.