Shock question

Re: schock question

I was told to take off cover run pool pump for 12 hrs add 2# of shock run for 12 hrs bring in sample

this is from a local pool store no test results yet .... still filling with water as I type

thanks for quick reply

To answer your question, you broadcast it into the pool, never through the skimmer.

Now, using a powdered shock product may not be the best way to chlorinate your pool. They can add excess CYA or calcium that may cause problems over time. Do you have a current set of test results that you could post? That will help you determine whether or not you should use the powdered shock.

What did you use in the pool last year?

no results yet filling as I type

- - - Updated - - -

what type of shock is recommended ... I do have a heater

If it is clear then you may not need it at all. We teach how to maintain pools through accurate self testing and only adding what the pool needs. This often directly conflicts with the recommendations that pool stores offer. So you need to decide if you are going to do what the pool store tells you to do. Or if you are going to learn to manage it yourself and ultimately save yourself a lot of hassle and money.

schock question

I'm going to suggest that you think about getting yourself a good test kit. Here are the ones we recommend. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison.
The TF-100 is the best value and the one many members use. It's the right tool for the job. Having a good test kit will enable you to take control of your pool and not the pool store. If you had a good kit now it would be easy to get you headed in the right direction. Without test results we don't know where your parameters are.
Spend sometime reading in pool school. Here are some good places to start.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool

What they all said, we teach to test and the only add what the pool needs, pool stores often work by the blind shotgun approach then test, then they can sell you something to counter act the last thing they sold you, all until things come tumbling down and they give you some mumbo jumbo about about chlorine lock or stale water and tell you that you need to drain your pool and put fresh water in, when in reality the problem is that it is often saturated with the different chemicals they sold you that you did not really need in the first place.

Having said that you do need to get chlorine in there as soon as possible or else things may start turning green, without god test results you are going to be guessing on what you need. The safest thing to use is liquid chlorine / plain household bleach added slowly in front of a running return, as this has the fewest potentially unwanted side effects.

Ike

I'm going to suggest that you think about getting yourself a good test kit. Here are the ones we recommend. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison.
The TF-100 is the best value and the one many members use. It's the right tool for the job. Having a good test kit will enable you to take control of your pool and not the pool store. If you had a good kit now it would be easy to get you headed in the right direction. Without test results we don't know where your parameters are.
Spend sometime reading in pool school. Here are some good places to start.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool

Just want to reiterate what pwrstrk mentioned. No one can advise you until you provide us with a complete and accurate set of test results. It really is that important.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might be thinking, why do I need to get a pool test kit when I have this great pool store that will test my water for free. It has been said here that pool store testing is worth about what you paid for it. I totally agree with this statement. I am fairly new here (joined last year) but if I knew then what I know now, the first and most important thing I would buy for my pool is one of the recommended pool kits mentioned above.

Free water test. You get what you pay for.

I am so happy I found this site. In a short time I've learned so much and am so much more confident. Learn how to test yourself and add only what you need. Good luck.

You will spend the money for the good test kit and SAVE so much more by not having to go to the pool store.

Let me tell you a little story-------------One day I took three sample of my water at the same time, same place. I took them to three different big name pool stores. ALL three pool stores said I need/had to have any where from $80 to $200 worth of stuff to "save" my pool. Forget the fact that my pool was clear and looked great. "Oh but you have NO idea what is going on inside the water!"

See I HAD tested my water with MY test kit at home and it was spot on! SO please learn from my experiment and buy your own test kit.

Spend a little money and save yourself a LOT of money!

Plus it is fun!

Kim

The pool store near me, when I asked them to test my water for salt (I didn't have a kit for that yet, I do now), asked me if I'd added my "pool opening kit" yet. I asked what it was. It's a "opening kit" that is $300 and contains everything you need to get the pool going and balanced. I asked how they know what I need without seeing my water. Her answer: "Everyone needs to do the same thing each spring."

So far, I've only spent about $60 on stuff, and I'm pretty much where I need to be. Of that $60, $45 was on stabilizer (CYA). A few gallons of bleach before my SWG started running, and I'm good to go.

BTW - their salt test was just strips. They told me my salt level was 700ppm. I needed like 10-15 bags of salt or something. With my kit, I tested, twice, and got 3200 and 3000ppm. My SWG says I'm at 3200. No thanks pool store!

anonapersona asked

....You said you are filling the pool.... was it empty or are you adding water to what was left after last year?

How are you testing your water? What is your CYA test result?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.