Pool fence....

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
1st off.... does anyone else think its stupid that I have to have pool fence around my pool when my house is 100 feet away from a 3 acre, 18 ft deep community pond?:pth:

anyhoo.... preliminary #s coming in for buried doughboy pool:

16 x 32 autumn breeze: $5599.00

+200 liner upgrade for 7 ft deep end

+259 for cake steps (they gave me a $140 credit since i wont be getting a ladder, steps are $399.00.)

+ 270 upgrade from Doughboy pump and filter to Hayward 250lb sandfilter and 1.5 hp pump.

- $500 coupon I received from doughboy for typing in my email address on their site a week ago. :p

$5828.00

+ tax 8.375% :pth:

________

$6316.00

+ install (3400 because its on slope and it will be buried 2 feet on one end, 3 feet on the other, plus excavate for deep end)

+ 1,100 to extend out our already big back porch to reach pool (basically an 8 x 30 concrete pool deck on one side of pool)

+ 700 for electric ( this is rough estimate, have electrician coming by to consult on monday)

+ 300 bucks for stupid vinyl fence around any part of pool that is less than 35 inches above ground, per stupid city codes :pth::pth::pth:

+1000 bucks rough estimate for metal pool fence to close off back porch :pth:

total cost $13,800.00, give or take a grand depending on electrical, fence, the builder unearthing Hoffa when he digs this thing out......:eek:

anyone have any ideas on pool fence cheap to satisfy the code? i know the safety aspects and all, and I do have a 3 year old, but I dont let her out without me or momma, we have top locking bolts on all doors, plus alarm chimes since we already have to worry about pond.

I have mixed feelings regarding a fence in isolated areas, but with today's liability laws it is a smart idea regardless of the code issues. As to type of fence this is hard to say as there is much variation in code requirements from location to location, both in terms of height and construction, need for self closing self latching gates, gate alarms, etc.

Ike

p.s. Steve fence pricing is insane, I paid almost $5,000 for 135 feet of wood 6 ft privacy fence (using metal post set in concrete) about 4 years ago.

It seems pretty obvious that you're jacked over the fence and all but you have to take into account that all parents aren't as vigilant on the where about of their children. With that said, we had 4 beautiful children move into a house below ours over the winter. They can see our pool. It's 54" above ground and does not require a fence but hubby and I have already discussed our plans to keep them safe even though they are not our children. The codes are there for a reason and if you want a pool, you have to follow them. JMO

I feel your pain... You cannot have a pool in my country without a fence... There is more glass fencing around pools in Australia then anywhere else in the world.... And they're not cheap......People figure, if you have to have a fence, you may as well make it invisible.....

I feel your pain... You cannot have a pool in my country without a fence... There is more glass fencing around pools in Australia then anywhere else in the world.... And they're not cheap......People figure, if you have to have a fence, you may as well make it invisible.....

Do you have any pic's of the glass fence you speak of Lacey ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, fencing is a pain, but a safety measure for sure ... and not always just for children ... our neighbors at our old house had an inground pool and they had removed a large portion of fencing to access the back yard ... A dog (not sure whose dog) actually got in their pool and was swimming round-n-round trying to find a way out ... I don't think our neighbors were home at the time so I made hubby jump the fence and go rescue the dog. With a lake it usually doesn't just drop to 18' deep, so animals can usually easily get in an out ... but lots of pools don't have a step that is easily maneuvered by dogs. So, as much as it is expensive and maybe doesn't make sense ... a tragedy prevented is the best measure!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.