Pump for above ground pool

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
I"m hoping my info stamp still appears below, but in case it doesn't, we have a 25,000 gal pool and we think we've been using the wrong type pump for how we have it installed. We currently have 1.5 horse stayflow or stayright (not able to check brand at moment, but something like this!) that needs to be replaced because it's leaking around the seal, and can't get the impeller off to replace the seal (if there is some trick to taking off the impeller so we can replace the seal, please let us know ASAP, as we;d much rather replace the seal than the whole works!). But if not, it needs to be replaced.

Here's the situation: For ease of use/plumbing, my husband plumbed the filter/pump up near the house. He just recently found out that since the filter/pump is positioned above the skimmer level, and about 20' of 1.5" pvc piping running from pool to reach the pump, that we should have been using an in ground pump all this time, vs the above ground pump.

We are wanting to get the pool up and running, but don't want to make a mistake in what we install this time. Any recommendations? Should we relocate the new filter/pump closer to the pool, and below skimmer level? We like where it is, makes for easy access and close to electrical. But want to make sure this new pump lasts awhile. Thanks for any advice!

- - - Updated - - -

ALso, any ideas on the Hayword SP 2610 x15 if we do have to replace? Others?

The impeller is reverse threaded. If you are still having problems there are some youtube posts on removing stuck impellers that involve removing the motor from the casing to enable you to secure the shaft while you spin the impeller. If you are comfortable with the idea of that much dissassembly you can search for "removing stuck impeller on pool pump" on youtube.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.