WalMart Ultra Bleach - $2.54 now

schrody said:
Ouch. HD here just raised their price on 1 gallon of 10% (brand Smart Liqui-Shock) from $3.58 to 4.79!! :shock:

I've been fighting mad over this for several weeks now. Not for the price increase, but for the fact that all the cases and displays in the garden department as well as the end cap near the entrance showed it at $3.58, but it was ringing up at the new higher price. I bought several cases and was walking out to my car when I figured out the screw job. Went back in and after half an hour of standing in the customer service line I got them to refund the difference. I made a quite a fuss with the manager on duty, the people in the garden dept and such that they needed to fix this immediately. I sent my wife back the next week to get a few more bottles and the displays still showed $3.58 a bottle, yet rang up at $4.72. This is flat out deceptive trade. I wonder how many customers they screwed over during those few weeks.

Bossm4n said:
schrody said:
Ouch. HD here just raised their price on 1 gallon of 10% (brand Smart Liqui-Shock) from $3.58 to 4.79!! :shock:

I've been fighting mad over this for several weeks now. Not for the price increase, but for the fact that all the cases and displays in the garden department as well as the end cap near the entrance showed it at $3.58, but it was ringing up at the new higher price. I bought several cases and was walking out to my car when I figured out the screw job. Went back in and after half an hour of standing in the customer service line I got them to refund the difference. I made a quite a fuss with the manager on duty, the people in the garden dept and such that they needed to fix this immediately. I sent my wife back the next week to get a few more bottles and the displays still showed $3.58 a bottle, yet rang up at $4.72. This is flat out deceptive trade. I wonder how many customers they screwed over during those few weeks.

Law here is that if a product scans different than what it is marked the store owes that customer 10x the difference of the error as a refund,(up to $5). Next time go through the line and buy one bottle pay the wrong amount and walk strait to the customer service for your $5. Do that enough times and you will shortly see a stock boy retagging all that products. Give them a piece of their own medicine.

In Atlanta metro area here...
Been going to Sam's club and getting 3 bottles of 182oz clorox 6% for $7.17...comes out to 2.39 per. Walmart is 3.39 per... target generic is 2.89 per 182oz. Have not checked elsewhere recently.

Don't think it is worth the sams memebership just for bleach, but I will be stocking up before mine expires in july this year!

Hi there, I've been lurking for a bit and finally am deciding to dive in... with how to do The Math when it comes to finding the best price on chlorine for the pool. I do this every time I'm at the grocery store anymore. This formula gives you the price per gallon of pure chlorine:

Price / ounces * 128 / % Chlorine (in decimal form: i.e. 6% chlorine is .06)

If the bleach comes in 1-gallon jugs, it's a little simpler:

Price / gallons / % Chlorine

So, the 2.54 for 182 ounces of 6% bleach...

$2.54/182*128/.06 = $29.81 per gallon.

Not a bad price. Store-brand bleach at Wal-Mart and Target are usually about the same price, at least around here. So far the best prices have been from a Friendly Local Pool Shop, with refillable 1-gallon bottles of 12.5% in a 4-count case for $12.49, working out to only $24.98 per gallon. The formula came in really handy when I saw that the Wal-Marts around here had 2-gallon packs of pool chlorine for what looked like a good price of about $7 (marked down from $10, never mind that I'd never seen it in the store until now), but it was over $35 per gallon of pure chlorine... definitely not a good deal. Beware the dollar store bleach! It's usually lower concentration (I've seen 3% before), and ends up being a much worse deal in the end.

Sorry friend, maybe I'm not getting your math? :hammer:

The 6% bleach from Wal-mart is $2.54 for 174 ounces, working out to $.014-015 cents per ounce. The 12.5% you found is $3.12 a gallon (128 oz), or approx $.024 cents per ounce, but since its twice the strength, you would divide that by 2. So it's a for sure a better deal than the 6% plus it means less jugs to carry. 12.5% around $3.00 anytime is a great buy. :goodjob: Keep in mind that the higher the strength the more rapidly it degrades, so in a few months the % concentration will be less than 12.5%. Store it in a cool dark place.

Right now in Northern NJ
Walmart $2.54/174 oz. = $1.86/gal.
CostCo $8.49/4.26gal. = $1.99/gal. (3x182 oz. Clorox)
Pool Store $18.00/5gal(12%)=$1.80/gal. (6%equiv.)

Pool Store wins this month!

Just for fun:
TriChlor On-line (50lb) 2.59/lb = $1.46/gal. (6% bleach equiv.)
Cal-Hypo On-line (68%) $2.50/lb= $2.00/gal. (6% bleach equiv.)

My equivalents are done using Pool Calculator and data for my pool:
1 gal. 6% Bleach = 12.8 oz. 65% Cal-Hypo = 9 oz. Tri-Chlor

However, every 10 llb. of TriCclor adds 70 CYA to my pool--NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! 50 lb. would add 350!! Not to mention pH craziness involved....

EDIT: With respect to CosmicJester, I find it much easier to convert all prices to $/gal. of 6% bleach equivalent. My FLPS sells 12% and 12% to 6% I don't need a calculator for. Adjusting for 184oz. instead of 128 oz. I can ballpark in the aisle in my head. It's just easier to think about and remember--after all, NOBODY sells 100% chlorine.

Poolmom:

The way you do the math is:
$2.54/174 oz = $.015¢ per ounce of 6% bleach

The way I do the math is
$2.54/174 oz/.06 solution = $.243¢ per ounce of 100% bleach

We have the same end result, just expressed a little differently (.015 is about 6 percent of .243). Taking the extra step to divide by the percent of chlorine makes it easier to compare different strengths of chlorine. Doing that gives you the cost of how much that particular bleach would cost if you were buying it as pure bleach with all the water taken out. With store bleach and the 12.5% that I get from my Friendly Local Pool Store, the math is pretty easy since one is about twice the other. However, comparing 6% to 10% is mental gymnastics I would prefer to not do. So, I let my calculator do it for me. The $6.99 for 2 gallons of liquid pool chlorine at Wal-Mart works out like this:

$6.99/256 oz/.10 solution = $.273 per ounce of 100% bleach

So now I can see very easily that the bleach in the laundry aisle at Wal-Mart is a better deal than the chlorine in the pool aisle.

As for buying in quantity, the deal from my FLPS is their regular price. I keep a couple of crates around here and then grab a refill on my regular errands every week or so. With a price like that, I should likely divulge my source so other people can enjoy the price. It's A&M Corson's in Scottsdale AZ, east of Scottsdale and Thomas, hiding behind the bowling alley.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put together a spreadsheet to calculate bleach prices (and borax). Input the size of the container in ounces, % of Cl and the price. Location and brands optional if you want to keep track of who sells what. The cell highlighted in pink will be the lowest cost.

There is still an error in the last column that displays #VALUE!, but will calculate when the numberes are filled in. The last 2 coulmns are just fluff anyway.

Attachments

• Cl.xls
    37.5 KB · Views: 52
Big Lots sells Sno-ee bleach for $1.50 per gallon. There is no concentration indicated on the label. It is made by James Austin Co (JACO) of Mars PA... I've inquired with them as to what the concentration is in that product and will report back if I hear. Can't tell from their website... they make bleach products from 3% to 15%.

hriehl1 said:
Big Lots sells Sno-ee bleach for $1.50 per gallon. There is no concentration indicated on the label. It is made by James Austin Co (JACO) of Mars PA... I've inquired with them as to what the concentration is in that product and will report back if I hear. Can't tell from their website... they make bleach products from 3% to 15%.

We've had bad reports of the Big Lots bleach as well as other Dollar Store brands/purchases of bleach, either old/lost strength or just no good. I'd avoid both.

Just looked closer at the label for Big Lot's Sno-ee Bleach... it has the same laundry dosage recommendations as Austin's 3% product (and bigger doses than Austin's 5.25% product) so Big Lot's Sno-ee is a 3% product and no bargain at $1.50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.