New pool owner- pump basket leaks on low speed?h

Feb 23, 2014
Boston suburb
Hi everyone,

First off, many thanks to the wealth of information that has been collected and shared on this site. I'm a new pool owner, and have learned a lot already.

I just had my 21' above ground pool installed this past Tuesday. The pool installer had to come back out because of some leaks I found from the pump and skimmer box, which he fixed. Now, however, my 2 speed hayward pump leaks from the basket lid, but only on low speed? I primed the pump... There is a quarter size air bubble in the basket.

Why would the basket only leak on low speed? I've read about luring the gasket for a Better seal. Is this something I may have to do even for new equipment?

Is the pump basket leaking water out or air in? On low speed, an AG pump below water level would most likely have positive pressure in the pump basket so that is why I ask.

Glad you're here!

When the pump is on high, are all the bubbles gone?

On low speed, the bubbles collect into one larger bubble. On high speed, the larger bubble is broken up into smaller bubbles, but they are not completely gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the pump basket leaking water out or air in? On low speed, an AG pump below water level would most likely have positive pressure in the pump basket so that is why I ask.

On low speed, it is definitely leaking water out. But wouldn't it also leak out on high speed as well?

Just guessing, but: On high speed the suction is probably strong enough to pull the lid down against the seal and cause it to seal properly. On low speed there is either less suction, or none, and the lid is not held on so tightly, allowing any play in the lid closing system to result in a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.