Slightly used Tristar .5 hp motor available for cost of shipping

ChrisL

Apr 3, 2007
I have a four year old .5 hp Energy Efficient motor for a tristar pump that I used about 1/2 a season available if anyone wants it. (.99 total hp) The pump was too small for my solar panels so I upsized to a 3/4 hp. It has been kept indoors and is in excellent condition. I had to rebuild my current pump this year and cannibalized the .5 hp one for parts. The motor and impeller are available for anyone that wants them. If you are interested pm me and we can make arrangements to ship it to you. As it is heavy, it will cost a few dollars to ship. Once you get it, you can send me a check to reimburse the actual shipping cost.

I am not interested in the pump but I am curious as to why that pump did not work for your solar. I have a similar size pump which works fine with my solar installed at 25'.

Is the pump the SP3205EE?

How high are your panels?

What was not working properly?

Thanks

My panels are on the second floor about 30 feet away from the pool. The pump could not keep the strainer basket full of water, which I took to be evidence of it working too hard, so I swapped it out for the .75 hp pump, which has a flow curve very similar to the 1.5 hp Superpump that came with the pool. The panels and the pipe on the roof are only 1.5 inches, which is not ideal for the pump, which may have been another reason. How do you do the 2 speed with solar panels? Do you run on low speed when the panels are not in use?

Chris

Yes, I run on low speed when not using solar.

The pump could not keep the strainer basket full of water, which I took to be evidence of it working too hard
That is a sign of an air leak not a pump working too hard. In fact, pumps work less hard (i.e. draw less current) with the higher head loss of solar.

Interesting. I couldn't find an air leak using a hose test and it didn't happen when the panels were not on and it doesn't happen with the 3/4 hp pump. I would thing a more powerful pump would draw more air.

In general, a more powerful pump would draw in more air but you also changed the pump so if the air leak was in the pump lid, as most are, then you solved the problem by changing the pump (with a new lid).

However, a more powerful pump would also have more suction on the lid so it might seal better too. The reason you might have seen the pump leak air more with solar is because the return head is higher, flow rates drop and the suction lowers as well so the pump lid does not seal as well. This sometimes happens with two speed pumps on low speed. So a little extra pool lube on the gasket can help.

I couldn't find an air leak using a hose test
How did you perform the test? There is no real test for the pump lid so you either have to replace the gasket or use pool lube.

This makes sense. Maybe it was the lid. I always check the gasket (which is a bit of a pain on this lid) and lube it a few times a year. For the hose test, I simply run the hose over each joint above the ground for a good couple of minutes to see if it makes a diference in the amount of air in the strainer basket.. I will pull the lid off my .5 hp pump and see what happens when I start up the pool next week. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.