Opened Pool...Water looks great.....And Chilly....Lets See Yours

johnnysnok

Feb 25, 2011
South Jersey
I took the cover off actually last Friday and the water really looked good. The temperature was 47 degrees, Thursday it was up to 62 degrees.

We had a pretty hard winter here in South Jersey the pool and the cover have seem to come thru fine.

I know i am not the only one looking forward to getting everything back out of storage and setting up everything up.

Its a lot of work but its work everyone on this forum looks forward to this time of year!! Unless your fortunate enough to not have to winterize.

Here are a few shots of the pool and the bare deck until everything gets set up.

Lets see those covers off!!

Looks great ! I remember seeing your pool in another thread.
My cover stays on till the maple tree seed pods are done. Don't need them in the water. Pump and filter have been hooked up for about 3 weeks. The water is crystal clear.

Hey Johnny! Nice to see you again! Hubby and I took our cover off on 4/10/14. We opened to this...

I didn't top it off right away as I had a pesky/leaky skimmer to deal with. UGH... It beat me up pretty bad as I am still in pain from 6 hours of hanging upside down and cranking a screw driver, trying to attach and take off and reattach it! My shoulder just hasn't been the same since!!!

I did get the pool up and running on the 17th... Filling up.

Evening sun a few nights ago...

Test Results are as followed:

FC 6
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 90
CYA40

Getting ready to add Borates this year for the first time.

Casey what part of PA are you in? I live in central PA near State College and it is still cold here. 50s mostly with an occasional 45. Should I open the pool anyway? What happens if you wait? Does it get green? At this rate we will not be swimming until mid May.

I've yet to be in the pool Ine! Too cold! I probably won't get in til June!!! I'm a wuss with cold water!!! We've had a few days where it was in the 70's but like you said, it's still too cold! The other night it was like 29degrees! lol I'm right on the border of Washington and Fayette County. I like to open early because the water is still cold and I'm very impatient and I like to look at the water instead of the cover. :mrgreen: If you wait to long and it gets warm, which it can, the water could turn green.

I've yet to be in the pool Ine! Too cold! I probably won't get in til June!!! I'm a wuss with cold water!!! We've had a few days where it was in the 70's but like you said, it's still too cold! The other night it was like 29degrees! lol I'm right on the border of Washington and Fayette County. I like to open early because the water is still cold and I'm very impatient and I like to look at the water instead of the cover. :mrgreen: If you wait to long and it gets warm, which it can, the water could turn green.

I think we were around that temp also, even though I am north of you.

I was told this once about opening it up early so now I guess it is true. I have had many green pools in the spring because I was told I waited too long. But then again, I do not want to run my filter and run up the electric bill if it is too cold to swim.

What would you consider warmer to open it before it turns green? 60s? or 70s?

Thanks so much!

If your pool water gets over 60 degrees, it will start eating up any chlorine reserves left over from winter and start turning green.

I've yet to open a green pool. :mrgreen:

Some people think it's a sin to open before Memorial Day, I know the pool store sees it that way. Personally I like the pool to be ready as soon as the weather cooperates,(in the 50's at night) i'll open my pool in a week or two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Johnny! Nice to see you again! Hubby and I took our cover off on 4/10/14. We opened to this...

I didn't top it off right away as I had a pesky/leaky skimmer to deal with. UGH... It beat me up pretty bad as I am still in pain from 6 hours of hanging upside down and cranking a screw driver, trying to attach and take off and reattach it! My shoulder just hasn't been the same since!!!

I did get the pool up and running on the 17th... Filling up.

Evening sun a few nights ago...

Test Results are as followed:

FC 6
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 90
CYA40

Getting ready to add Borates this year for the first time.

I have the exact same readings. :)

I have a Pool Store on my FB and they started opening on the same day I did which was 4/10/14. They post pics on their page. :mrgreen:

- - - Updated - - -

I have the exact same readings. :)

You did good! :goodjob:

The pool store by me thinks that if you didn't buy a pool or chems from them your doomed to fail.Makes my wife furious,I just laugh.I'm guessing your pool store may be more tolerant of people ruining their pool by pouring bleach in it than ours.(heavy on the sarcasm) :pth: Their loss.

I don't actually use the pool store. :mrgreen: I just like looking at the pools they do over the summer. :lol:

Well, my cover ripped as I was trying to put it on by myself last fall. I was so frustrated with it, I just left it on there ripped and with the pillow in the middle. lol So now it is dirty brown with tons of leaves in it and I have a ton of work to do. I'm thinking I'll just drain it, scrub it down and start over.

I have not taken the cover off yet, but underneath is crystal clear. I decided to top it off, get the pump hooked up, and then I will take off the cover. It is warm now but it is supposed to drop later in the week to around 42 at night for at least 6 nights. Sadly we are no going to be swimming for a while.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.