Better Late than Never

RCDuck

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2008
TEXAS
New member here.... pool just finished a couple of weeks ago in the DFW area. I found this site after most of the construction was complete. Consequently I ended up with some features of the pool that will not be used, but I will be able to adapt easily to the BBB system.

When I started looking for a pool builder, I had it in my mind that I wanted a pool with a SWG, due to experience in other people's Salt pools, and due to the fact that it seems easier on my kids' skin. Well, the pool contractor we ended up with "sold" me on the use of the Nature2/ozone/in-line chlorinator :cry: . I told them I was skeptical about this system, and wanted a guarantee that they would swap it out with a SWG after a year if I wasn't happy with it. Well, they decided to install the SWG now in addition to all the other equipment, so they wouldn't have to come out next year and rework the equipment. The plan was to leave the SWG off until I decided to switch. Overall, I was very happy with the contractor, with the exception of the choice of sanitizing equipment, but in fairness to them they left me with an easy out.

Since finding this site, I've removed the cartridge from the Nature2 and haven't ever even put any pucks in the in-line chlorinator. So far, I've been manually adding bleach, but I plan on adding salt and starting up the SWG in the near future. I am still running the ozone system, which I read very mixed opinions on... for now I think I'll use it.

Anyway, many thanks to all who contribute to this site, for taking a lot of the mystery out of pool maintenance. I've replaced the Pentair Test kit provided by my builder with the TF kit and so far everything is going well.

Most recent test results:
FC 3.5
TC 3.5
PH 7.5
TA 110 (with old kit) 190 (with TF kit which appears to have wrong tip... new one is on the way... Thanks Dave!)
CYA 40 (will add CYA when I make the switch to SWG)
CH 310

Welcome here!!!!!

You've already become a lifetime supporter and got the TF kit :goodjob: and set up a sig :goodjob: :goodjob:

You have a good grasp on what's going on and have done your reading :super: :party:

I assume that you have a 'crete pool and that's the reason to wait on adding the salt (it would be nice to add that info in your sig :wink: 8) )

I hope you never have any trouble with the pool and will join us in our 'fun' in between serious posts :mrgreen:

Waste,

I figured the $30 ($20 considering the discount on the TF Kit) to become a lifetime supporter was a no-brainer for all the valuable information I've already gotten from the site.

Yes, I am waiting on the salt due to it being a recently plastered gunite pool (Sig Edited). I don't know for sure when I'll switch to the salt since the new pool is at a new house... so, unpacking and tweaking things in the house has demanded plenty of my spare time. But for now, the daily Chlorine and PH testing, with additions of bleach and MA, seems to be working fine.

My kids have been spending a lot of time in our pool, as well as swimming lessons and swim team practice in other pools. A couple of them have been having some trouble with sensitive skin with all the swimming. For those of you with salt pools, do you think the saltwater will be helpful for them, as compared to a conventionally chlorinated pool? That's really my biggest motivation for wanting to switch to the SWCG. That... and the more automated chlorine balance.

The salt in the pool is close to being 'isotonic' (I hope I got that right :) ) which means that it is ~close to the salinity of the human body, therefore it is more comfortable for the skin and eyes. I think the problem your kids were having is with combined chlorine (chlorine that has done it's job of killing 'nasties' in the water and is now 'used up'). With a SWCG the combined stuff is virtually eliminated. The end result is that 'supposed' chlorine allergy issues are eliminated :!:

You will not regret the SWCG!

Thanks for editing your sig :) I'd add the salt and get the SWCG turned on as soon as it is safe for the plaster!

Waste is fine, but feel free to call me Ted :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.