Would you convert this Well House / Shed to a pool house?

Jan 17, 2014
Hi All - I'm struggling trying to finish the backside of my pool deck as theres an elevation drop with a slope that leads to the well house. Been trying to figure out if i should do retaining wall(s), planters, stairs, drop down about 6" and do a large gravel deck, feather it straight down from the pool deck with dirt and plant grass, etc, etc. I started thinking it may come down to if we have any usable pool house functions in that shed or not. The shed in its current state is ugly as sin. Its 2x4 framed out inside and finished in hardi board on the outside. Its main purpose is to hold the ~1000 gallon well water tank, which takes up most of the space. The pool equipment is on the back wall of the shed (outside). Its also home to the sprinkler control and low voltage lighting, so just knocking it down and removing it altogether is not really practical as all that stuff has to live somewhere. It sits on a concrete slab, that pretty much follows the slope (seriously, i dont understand why they wouldnt have leveled the slab and building). Anyhow, I'm trying to decide if theres some way to salvage this building into a nice pool/changing house of some kind that would fit the yard. It's 10x14, the water tank takes up 10x10, leaving a skinny 4'x10' space when you walk through the door. The water tank is only ~5' tall, so theoretically theres some usable space above the tank if I put some kind of loft for storage. My plan would be to paint it a cream color to match the house and redo the trim in rough cedar to help tie in with our house. Thought about making some kind of 3/4 wall coming off the side to act as an outdoor shower or possibly the changing area as well. Maybe in a rusty tin and cedar. I'm stuck on feeling like im going to throw away good money on putting lipstick on this pig versus feeling like its going to cost a fortune to rip it down and start over. I have no idea what a shed/pool house would cost to build. Anyhow, love to hear your thoughts on what you'd do if you were me.

XCGlMBu.jpg

znPrbdg.jpg

LmIx1Hk.jpg

RWcO9fU.jpg

Thanks
JD

Funny, I am actually working on building a shed very similar to that near my pool. I had also just started thinking about using the metal roof for a rustic look like this. Although we were thinking of painting it some bright colors for a Mexican feel. :)

I think the shed is really cute though ... but might depend on what the rest of your property is and what "feel" you are going for ... for shabby chic or french provincial it is perfect ... for modern contemporary - not so much

I have a similar shed - we did slap some lipstick on it and it's much better. It's too far for a pool house but we use it for tools etc. Just have to look at it all the time! you could add some paint, maybe some plants, a little pergola or awning with a bench or chairs out front and it would be cute. Here's mine while we we're working on it - it was ugly blue and white before.

Thanks. I think I could make it look much more attractive for sure. I'm trying to figure out how to make it more functional too, with the skinny 4' space when you walk in (the door swings in and takes up half of that space as well) its hard to figure out how to make it useful. I would say once you walk in, just to the right (right behind the giant windows to the front and to the side) you have about 4x4' of usable space, the rest is partitioned off for the water tank. Would you use that small space as a place to change maybe? Or just use it as dry storage and keep the changing area outside with a 3/4 wall partition coming off the side of the shed or something? I'd love to build onto it a bit more in the back/side, but given its severe slope and being completely un-level, im not sure how i'd go about that, unless I just make everything sloped. I'll have the leaning shed of Pizza i guess :)

Thanks,
JD

a 4'x4' area is pretty small for changing ... I would probably just use it for storage and build something else if you want to have a pool house ... or plan on replacing it with something larger. ... and if it makes you feel better - your well house looks a heck of a lot better than ours LOL! The previous owners were certainly not carpenters!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.