Weird white powdery substance in pool

Apr 25, 2014
United States
I have an 18' above ground pool. We didn't put a cover over it this winter so it got full of leaves. I worked for several days, got all the leaves out, got the chemistry right, etc. but I noticed after scooping the leaves out, where I was dumping them, this white powder residue. I'm not sure what it is, but I believe its the reason I cant get my water clear.

My chlorine is 2.5, PH is 7. I've only got a small test kit that test those two. I plan on getting a better one this weekend. Any thoughts on what this might be or how to clean my water up would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics of the residue and of the water.

20140423_190424.jpg

20140423_190429.jpg

20140423_190648.jpg

20140423_190446.jpg

20140423_190450.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please be sure you are buying one of the Recommended Test Kits and not just what a store tries to sell you. It is very rare to find them locally.

What kind of filter do you have?

Please add your pool details to your signature and a better location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Welcome to TFP!

I can't tell you what that white residue is, without more information from you.

If you go here, and see what info we need to help you, we can start to help you get your pool cleared.

Honestly, you will not find a good enough kit at your local store. You really need to order the TF-100 from http://TFtestkits.net. don't think of this as an expense, think of it as an investment in getting and keeping your pool clean, clear, and safe for you and your family.

In my signature, I show having the second best test kit, the Taylor K-2006. I order all my reagents from http://TFtestkits.net, as they are the same I would be buying from Taylor.

Once we know more about your location, your equipment, and what you've been using in your pool, we can go from there.

- - - Updated - - -

dag nab it Jason! I missed the mark again!!

I just ordered the Taylor K-2006.

I've changed filters, cleaning in between. I've turned the pump off and let the water settle for 3 to 4 hours then I've vacuumed, I've done this about 3 or 4 times. But even when I turn the pump off for several hours, the water is still very cloudy.

Could be algae in the water as well. Once you get your kit, test the water and post the results. Then follow the SLAM Process.

BTW, if you do have to go through the SLAM process, you likely should order some more FAS-DPD reagent because the K-2006 does not come with enough like the TF-100 does. Everyone always falls for the cheaper test kit when in reality the TF-100 is the better deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While you are in an ordering mood, let me repeat what Jblizzle said: You will need more R-0870, and R-0871. The Taylor kit does NOT have enough of these. Also, the R-0013 is just not quite enough to do more than a few tests, so you might want to order that too. Trust me on that one. I bought my kit before I knew about the TF-100, or I would have gotten that, with the XL option and speedstir. Believe me, I kick myself every time I have to order replacement reagents........

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.